Progressive Maple (Little Club):'Orange Dream' #001 aka "lil boy"

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mine deserves a wide grow pot. Its surface roots are doing well and widening the base right at the soil. I scraped back some of the soil to peak. Can't wait to expose the surface roots next spring in 2018. By spring 2019, you'll get to see what I've done with the root stock that I separated from this tree. It's been locked away in the 2nd time capsule vault.
Realy cool and inspireing

I got a small orange dream too
Bought it with 50% discount at garden center because it had lice
Its growing ok now
I want to grow it out as well and will get it out of the nursery can spring 2018

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The bad: Again I have some ugly wire scars recently, but I'll be chopping the tree down again for taper. I aim for spring 2018 or 2019.
20170903_121608.jpg

The good: Surface roots are developing well, and the trunk is thicker.
20170903_121547-1.jpg
20170903_121442-1.jpg
20170903_121521-1.jpg
20170903_121515-1.jpg

Attachments

• 20170903_121555.jpg
    20170903_121555.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 115

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lil' boy grew, but I chopped him down late winter when I worked the roots too. Removed a large root, some crossing ones, and ones on a higher plane. I left a lowest branch for insurance. Accidentally hit the bud growing low off the base. Maybe it'll grow back. Anyways, it's growing well, and I'm glad I saved the low branch.
20180401_150219.jpg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice progression. I’m surprised that it hasn’t calloused over more at the main chop made 3 yrs ago. It seems that ‘Ebihara’ branch removal technique didn’t do much. Did you prune much the first 2 years or just let it grow? I would think a complete chop with vigourous growth from the new leader would have almost healed it in 3yrs. Maybe a slow growing variety?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice progression. I’m surprised that it hasn’t calloused over more at the main chop made 3 yrs ago. It seems that ‘Ebihara’ branch removal technique didn’t do much. Did you prune much the first 2 years or just let it grow? I would think a complete chop with vigourous growth from the new leader would have almost healed it in 3yrs. Maybe a slow growing variety?
I've made similar branch chops (on acer palmatum) but as old fashioned 'just cut it off' as opposed to 'Ebihara-ing' it. 'Die back' occured 'down wind' of (or down the trunk below the) branch stub. Ebihara-ing would maintain the flow of photosynthate and auxin to this area, tending to prevent this 'down wind' die back. IOW, had @thumblessprimate1 not Ebihara-ed this chop, there likely would be a line of dead wood down the left side of the trunk and the loss of the corresponding roots.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've made similar branch chops (on acer palmatum) but as old fashioned 'just cut it off' as opposed to 'Ebihara-ing' it. 'Die back' occured 'down wind' of (or down the trunk below the) branch stub. Ebihara-ing would maintain the flow of photosynthate and auxin to this area, tending to prevent this 'down wind' die back. IOW, had @thumblessprimate1 not Ebihara-ed this chop, there likely would be a line of dead wood down the left side of the trunk and the loss of the corresponding roots.
Yes, I've had some dieback on my Amur maple where I got impatient and said screw it. Removed one of the stubs. More likely to always leave stubs on chops like this now.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I didn't do much pruning, but I've done root work. I dont mind slow healing as itll have a cleaner look.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's a pic of 'down wind' die back (you'll notice that I also tried to smooth the deadwood to no avail).

IMG_20180427_101825142.jpg

Ebihara-ing, I think, prevents this eventuality.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Checking out the tree. Some things happened. The dormant bud at the base was knocked off but grew and is now something greater. I also broke a branch wired up before it was hardened off. Buds leafing out there.
20180518_153935.jpg

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In response to 0soyoung's thread "mine's not big enough", I'm finally confident enough to present to you my small maple a.k.a. "lil boy". It's trunk is actually smaller than 0soyoung's :(

He's been through a lot, so this year it'll spend most of its time growing up. I had begun sawing away at the trunk, but then decided against it. I left a wedge there instead. The trunk was left to heal the wound and to act as a sacrifice branch to keep that trunk growing bigger. I would like for this small maple to become a larger maple one day. The branch that's wired up may become a future portion of the trunk. Root spread is decent. Maybe next year I'll let some roots escape into the ground to help increase girth.

DSC05071.jpg

DSC05075.jpg
is this grafted? I have an orange dream in my yard and I'd love to take cuttings of it and grow them into bonsai. Didn't know how well this cultivar grew on its own feet

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
is this grafted? I have an orange dream in my yard and I'd love to take cuttings of it and grow them into bonsai. Didn't know how well this cultivar grew on its own feet
It used to be, but it's been on it's own roots for a while now.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice progression!
I got the same thing going on i chopped my little Orange dream down to the first branch this spring
Sad thing is i didnt have had time to get it out of the nursery can this year but there will be always next year :D
Now i got time to build a fancy wooden grow box for it tough

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Checking out the tree. Some things happened. The dormant bud at the base was knocked off but grew and is now something greater. I also broke a branch wired up before it was hardened off. Buds leafing out there.
View attachment 192668

Here's a pic of 'down wind' die back (you'll notice that I also tried to smooth the deadwood to no avail).

View attachment 189277

Ebihara-ing, I think, prevents this eventuality.
This is great information. Most don't post the mistakes, but to the beginners like me it is extremely valuable! Osoyoung, when would be a good time to start the Ebihari notch? I have a Sango Kaku that was cutting grown that I wanted to notch.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hope your orange dream is well! I hope you don't mind if I throw my little Sango Kaku in the mix. Would you notch on the red lines or yellow?

Attachments

• 20180720_095946.jpg
    20180720_095946.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 29
  • SmartSelect_20180720-105229_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180720-105229_Chrome.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180720_111015.jpg
    20180720_111015.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom