Progression of my Portulacaria afra semi cascade

Looking forward to progress! Some initial thoughts:
(1) Think like a tree. Your current design is straight horizontal. A tree in nature would grow from a cliff face, and droop down as its growth and gravity would take hold. You want your styling to support natural laws - if you fight them the tree will look unnatural.
(2) You need to consider design rules. Your design doesn't have a clear focus - or a clear direction. You want to think about your apex (where is it?) and the line of your descending trunk as well as the terminal of that line and where it is.

All good - you can do all sorts of magic with P. afra in a short time! At least you can work with a healthy tree - and you have certainly improved its health!

Last edited:
Lots of potential here. The key is to decide where you want to take it... I love giving advice that I don't follow myself...:rolleyes:

(1) Think like a tree. Your current design is straight horizontal. A tree in nature would grow from a cliff face, and droop down as its growth and gravity would take hold. You want your styling to support natural laws - if you fight them the tree will look unnatural.

I get the sense that a slight planting angle change would fix what you're seeing? Maybe a shorter pot, too?

I get the sense that a slight planting angle change would fix what you're seeing? Maybe a shorter pot, too?
that is indeed my plan in the future! Change the angle more downward. Need a higher pot haha!

Back
Top Bottom