Preparing a Tree for a show

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One of the L.I. clubs puts on a local bonsai show every October. They reach out to the other clubs to see if people would like to enter their trees.

Ive got a nice stand and an idea for a accent plant along with a pot for that.
I am thinking of entering my Ilex crenata from the contest last year. I dont have a current picture, but here is one from the contest:

Sept_2016(2).jpg

Ive let it grow this spring because constantly trimming it isnt a good idea. So its now a bit shaggy, but its growing well and is healthy. I can post a current picture tomorrow or Saturday if needed.

So my question from those experienced with showing trees, what are your recommendations for getting this tree ready for the show in October?

@Adair M, @MACH5

?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks pretty nice! Can't see it in 3D, of course. Make sure it has depth.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like where you are headed, if you wired it again this year I'd remove it. Hopefully you have a spreading, full foliage mass....
G,
Hopefully you'll post your set up (stand and accent)?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is way up there on my list of dope contest trees..
Way up there!

I would love to see some orange of reproducing moss, or a little variation in the moss.

Besides the stand and accent of course!

Stand seems most difficult with the "heavy" pot.

I would love to see updated pics!

Sorce

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
The pot might not look as heavy and the surface as monotonous if the soil was a little more level and not quite as full edge to edge across the pot, so that the rim of the pot stuck up above the soil line on the left like a crescent pot often does. Perhaps the moss cover doesn't have to be as complete as you have it. I dunno what show protocols say about that.

I'm also interested in seeing your stand choice.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for all the comments, but it doesnt really answer my question.

When preparing a tree for a show, how close to the show do you start trimming back? I know its different for every species. Ive let the tree grow a bit this spring because constantly trimming it like I did last year for the box store contest, is probably not a good idea. It is a but shaggy and will need a trim prior to the show. I think I know when to do this one but just wanting some advice.

As for wire, most of the wire is still on it from last year and will be removed shortly as it is about to start biting in. If I do any wiring this year it will be the new growth only if necessary.

As for the foliage mass, here is a picture from above. I think its got nice depth and a nice spreading branching

Sept2016_Top.jpg

Side picture again for comparison

Sept2016.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok so I guess no one here has ever prepared a tree for a show and can give me advice on how to approach that with this tree?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sandy,

it takes up to 3 or 5 years to prepare for a show [ at Chinese standards [

Then you let the tree rest [ or you could end up with dead branches etc, or dead tree ]
So maybe you really should not be trying with this tree again

Then the next question would be, have you another tree to show?

There I have opened the court enough for various opinions to come flying.
Good Day
Anthony

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sandy,

it takes up to 3 or 5 years to prepare for a show [ at Chinese standards [

Then you let the tree rest [ or you could end up with dead branches etc, or dead tree ]

Then the next question would be, have you another tree to show?

There I have opened the court enough for various opinions to come flying.
Good Day
Anthony

This is just a local show, not anything close to the National Expo or anything like that.
The tree was "show ready" according to Walter when he judged the contest, but if this:

Then you let the tree rest

is really what I should do and not show the tree this year, then I need to know that too.

I've let the tree grow so far this year. Ill try to post a current picture when I get the chance

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok so I guess no one here has ever prepared a tree for a show and can give me advice on how to approach that with this tree?
Well, you do want to let it grow to remain strong. I usually trim for show a week before. If I have to cut pine needles on a tuft or two, I do that the morning of the show. I usually oil the pot a day or two before.

I normally do a practice set up at home with tree, stand(s) and accent. Sometime the week before the show, I moss the tree if it isn't already done.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, you do want to let it grow to remain strong. I usually trim for show a week before. If I have to cut pine needles on a tuft or two, I do that the morning of the show. I usually oil the pot a day or two before.

I normally do a practice set up at home with tree, stand(s) and accent. Sometime the week before the show, I moss the tree if it isn't already done.

Do you think it would be too soon to put this tree in a show considering that it was just in that state late last September?
The tree took everything I put it through last year like a champ. It was repotted once, trimmed twice, wired twice from April-August last year.
It is growing well this year, but I dont want to risk making it weak. Like I said, Ill take pictures tomorrow after work and post them.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you think it would be too soon to put this tree in a show considering that it was just in that state late last September?
The tree took everything I put it through last year like a champ. It was repotted once, trimmed twice, wired twice from April-August last year.
It is growing well this year, but I dont want to risk making it weak. Like I said, Ill take pictures tomorrow after work and post them.
A local club show, sure! Not ready for a "big" show yet.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am admittedly a total noob, and am no where near even thinking about entering in shows. But I just wanted to point out one thing. The moss around the nebari looks very square and light, making it look like it was placed. In nature, the moss naturally grows to the base of the trunk and sometimes up the trunk. I think it would look better if you break up your moss, and bust out the tweezers to get in those cracks and crevices to give it a more natural appearance. But absolutely 100% a beautiful tree, potting and presentation!!!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think this is a good tree, and one of the few I remember from the contest. The show is in October, so you will be through your growing season mostly by then, and you want to portray the feel of the season, so prune by July so you get another flush of growth. Then you can prune again a couple weeks before the show and it won't have new growth showing this late in the year. That will allow the leaves to orient themselves back toward the sun by show time. Put it in the shade and feed with some fish emulsion for the last week before the show. It will make the leaves darker green, which will make them "pop" inside the exhibit.

Keep an eye on the moss; don't let it crawl up the trunk. By fall, it will be getting pretty thick, but a thick cover may compliment the shape of the pot.

I also think you should consider changing the profile of the tree just a little. The pads are all about the same length. I'd like to see the lower branches longer than the upper branches. I'd also like to see the apex have a bit more of an angle to it, by making a few distinct pads. Then clean up the leaves that extend below each branch, and I think you're there. The photoshop below only crops out what's there, I didn't add any foliage. Remember, you can get this by pruning, but also by orienting some of the branches toward the viewer.
IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1301.JPG
Use a brightly-colored glazed pot for an accent; red or light blue, and use a plant that doesn't have round leaves; think spikes, lichen, or even some fall-blooming dwarf wildflowers to soften the look of the main pot. It should also reflect the left-to-right movement of the main tree.

Use an elevated stand to give the sense of a windy cliff.

Have fun! Good to see you're planning ahead. Your tree will be better than half of them at the show because you're thinking about it now. Well-planned decent trees often show better than nice trees plucked thoughtlessly from the bench last night.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was going to say the same thing as Brian about the apex. He said it better than I could have.

Top Bottom