Practice Wire?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to wmstart wiring the trunk of my ficus, but I don't want to hurt it lol

I know copper is the way to go, and Ive read to just practice on some branches and things like that. But, my question is... is there anything I could use to practice with without wasting copper wire?

Like can I get some wire from home depot or something?

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Aluminum on Ficus, it's cheaper and easier to take off. If you are afraid and want to practice, take some old tree branch and have at it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can't practice pitching a baseball with a softball.
You don't want your surgeon practicing with a blade twice as short as the one used on the operating table.

Copper practice is Copper practice...
Aluminum aluminum.

My ficus.20160428_205200.jpg

With copper.
20160430_011524_HDR.jpg

I took this wire off a bit early, and it sprang back up.

And I cranked and sometimes upside downded branches....

You can't do that with aluminum.

Practice.20161012_130122.jpg
Long game...still waiting for buds.

Find copper and....

Murica!
20170312_083412.jpg

Purdy.
20170312_083401.jpg

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been noting how fully wiring D trees is a waste of time.

Not only the manual effort and the wire..
But health of tree too.

Granted there are situations where fully wiring the tree is the best way to Go.

But more often, there is a better way to induce movement in the keeper part, expose your inner buds....and keep the tree developing faster.

80% of us are, or should be in this "stage with most of our material.

Wrench!

Sorce

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Do I have to get wire from a bonsai store or can I go to home depot or Lowes and just ask for some wire there and heat up at home?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IMO, aluminum is best bought online from bonsai store. For annealed copper AWG 20 thru 12 (0.8mm to 2.0mm), Jim Gremel Deer Meadow looks like best price and it is really great wire. I found bare copper ground wire AWG 10 to 4 (2.6mm to 5.2mm) at Home Depot and Lowes cheaper, but you have to anneal it which is certainly added expense and time (plus variable results when it was too hot or not hot enough). You may be able to contact an electrician to buy their scrap but it may all be insulated.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMO, aluminum is best bought online from bonsai store. For annealed copper AWG 20 thru 12 (0.8mm to 2.0mm), Jim Gremel Deer Meadow looks like best price and it is really great wire. I found bare copper ground wire AWG 10 to 4 (2.6mm to 5.2mm) at Home Depot and Lowes cheaper, but you have to anneal it which is certainly added expense and time (plus variable results when it was too hot or not hot enough). You may be able to contact an electrician to buy their scrap but it may all be insulated.
It burns off in the annealing process.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Find it...

Strip it....

Light it up....

Sorce

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It burns off in the annealing process.
True! But you probably shouldn't do it on the indoor gas stove! As a kid, I remember when we would burn huge piles of insulated wire for scrap. Giant multi-color clouds of toxic smoke, which I thought was pretty cool! But when I'd strip the insulation it sold for more, I guess that's why I refuse to strip wire for bonsai now!

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone. One last request. I swear I saw a link to purchase a "starter" set of wires online. Does anyone have that link or know what I'm talking about?

Top Bottom