Portulacaria afra - semi cascade

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have been looking for an afra for along time, and finally got this last sunday.
It was looking messy, and i wanted to try a semi-cascade style.
I am new in bonsai but searching/ reading about it a lot.
So, what do you think about it, any advice?

IMG_3067.JPG IMG_3071.JPG

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope you kept at least some of your cuttings.

Good starter tree that's for sure. Tough to kill it, just give it lots of light.

Where are you located?

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
8_pedro_morales_portulacari.jpg

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
I hope you kept at least some of your cuttings.

Good starter tree that's for sure. Tough to kill it, just give it lots of light.

Where are you located?
Yes, i kept all the cuttings actually :) I want to try a "forest style" in the future if they survive.
I from a very hot climate actualy (izmir, turkey), it doesnt drop below zero mostly even in winters so i guess i dont need to keep it inside.

Yes Geo, its exactly what i saw while trimming it. But i guess i need a lot of time and practice to achive something like this :)

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, like everyone has mentioned, judging by your picture; you have a lot of cuttings for sure. Nice little specimen :cool:. I'll say that when you wire tree up, be careful and be forceful at the same time. When I styled my tree it a gentle touch but a lot of force to get this guy into shape. I've been told and have seen myself, they take well to wire. Because they are fleshy they will plump right back up after a growing season with wire.

I have this pic floating around on here; but, here is my little tree. I didn't much give it any thought because it was something like $3 and had no idea what it would become. After a growing season it showed really nice signs of promise! Time frame is about almost 1.5 years.
10598179_974166565978678_1479513698_n.jpg

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have been looking for an afra for along time ........

Really? A "long time"? They are everywhere in Adana, Sanliurfa, Diyabakir plus the Middle East and North Africa .... growing between houses and nearly every crevice. Just cut off a limb. Leave it in the sun to dry for 2 weeks. Then put into a pot with soil with NO WATER for 2 more weeks. Then water it like normal.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DSC00486.JPG DSC00475.JPG
A couple out here on the ranch....
Cuttings? You could probably start some in between your toes!
Just remember their down there, in case you happen to throw on the occasional python boot......:confused:

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like your jades @LanceMac10 How long did it take you to get to that point? Also, do you defoliate during the growing season?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, lieuz!!

The first one is a friends tree. He just got it maybe...a little over a year ago? So, it's been about cutting back extra branches.
The second one is mine, and when I got it, it was about where your's is now. Maybe two or so years ago.
I don't do too much with it, so it's a little "bushy"!!

You have done well with yours!!
I don't defoliate, they do a good job of that when they go inside! Friend has several and they all dropped almost every leaf!!
Wadda' mess!!!!

Is this something you do? Did it responed as you thought? Would you deem it succesfull?
If so...well...it looks like it's working for you!! Lil' gem startin' to look pretty plush!!:D

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well where I get my bonsai material I met a lady that I'm sure is well known around the bonsai community and her name is Martha who I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) is the co-founder of Meehans nursery. I posed that question to her because I wanted to know could you defoliate them to get smaller growth. Her answer is: absolutely, but only during the growing period. She showed me an example and it's really amazing what it looks like when all the little leaves start pushing out. She did mention, if you're going to defoliate, take the entire leave, don't leave 1/3 of it behind because it does absolutely nothing for it.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@boguz You definitely have the cascading part. I think what you should do now is plan for the "semi" cascade portion by selecting a branch for the main apex of the tree. I definitely see one on the lowest left corner because it is thick enough to be appropriate with the main cascading branch.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Geo's pic above is exactly what I have in mind for this little guy...
2015-12-18 08.14.39.jpg
Way to go yet. They are slowish growers here in the NZ climate.

Last edited:

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
I don't have one yet. Because the so called nursery where I go to browse has a ton of them. All straight trunks with all growth on top. If I get one of those I suppose that it is going to mean a major wire on the trunk, as well as a chop. Advice please.The trunks are around 3/4 inch in diameter.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I mostly clip and grow on them. I do use wire and guy wires on a big old one I have, but only for slow easy bends. They can snap easily..... They love sunlight and are very tough. Easy to grow as Nebari said above. In the wild animals rip of branches and those that falls to ground, roots quickly....even in that barren soil. They are no fuss trees and ideal for beginners.
2015-12-16 16.33.40.jpg
Here is a link with some interesting facts about it...
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/portulacarafra.htm

Last edited:

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I mostly clip and grow on them. I do use wire and guy wires on a big old one I have, but only for slow easy bends. They can snap easily..... They love sunlight and are very tough. Easy to grow as Nebari said above. In the wild animals rip of branches and those that falls to ground, roots quickly....even in that barren soil. They are no fuss trees and ideal for beginners.
View attachment 89293
Here is a link with some interesting facts about it...
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/portulacarafra.htm
Thanks for the link, very interesting.

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
@boguz You definitely have the cascading part. I think what you should do now is plan for the "semi" cascade portion by selecting a branch for the main apex of the tree. I definitely see one on the lowest left corner because it is thick enough to be appropriate with the main cascading branch.
Thanks for the comment lieuz, i ll leave that brunch on the left as u said. I didnt know that i can defoliate this, i ll try it in my small cuttings.
Also i want to ask that should i change the soil? I guess i dont need to wait for early spring on this plant, maybe if i put in a more proper soil, it may accelerate the grow rate?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That soil doesn't look very open to me. Is it potting soil? I think if you change the soil now it will set it back a little. What I did with mine when I wanted maximum growth is made some extra holes in the bottom and the sides, and put the pot in the ground. Not to deep...about 3 inches is good. That lets the roots escape into the ground and the potting soil doesn't stay soggy. Leave it for a season and then you can change the soil and trim the roots all at once....

A question... Why do you want to defoliate?

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
That soil doesn't look very open to me. Is it potting soil? I think if you change the soil now it will set it back a little. What I did with mine when I wanted maximum growth is made some extra holes in the bottom and the sides, and put the pot in the ground. Not to deep...about 3 inches is good. That lets the roots escape into the ground and the potting soil doesn't stay soggy. Leave it for a season and then you can change the soil and trim the roots all at once....

A question... Why do you want to defoliate?
Soil seems hard that has very low drainage, that i feel roots don't get enough air.
Yes, putting in garden seems good, but here is lots of dogs and cats in my yard, and that plant is so fragile :)
I just wanted to see if the leaves get smaller when i defoliate. Am i missing something, isn't it for smaller leaves?

Top Bottom