Pomagranate - Looking for some nutty suggestions

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Nutties,

Just removed my pomagranate air layer yesterday, wondering what you guys think and what you would do with this design? I’m fairly new to the “split trunk” so who best to ask!

Thank you in advance!!!

02A4DC85-742C-4E14-8A07-A40EA34DA43E.jpegF4464854-179D-41CF-B5DE-A910E1E25C70.jpeg42832F7F-7667-4646-954D-FE028A481C4E.jpeg56EED83A-04B1-426E-B12E-05C0F80A30FC.jpeg70B9FCB2-944D-4098-9A74-C86795E607CA.jpeg52FD0576-A63F-495A-8661-2048A5928697.jpeg

have you considered layering of the straight trunk?
Your mean just to make another formal upright tree? I would more than likely need to let these roots establish and get some strength going before considering that no? You’d just keep the curved side and abandon the twin trunk?

This is vaguely reminiscent of a twin trunk cottonwood I know of. One normal informal upright almost broom style trunk, the other apparently blown over in a storm, but still grew. Laid over until just above the ground, some pretty interesting curves in it. Haven't been out that way in quite some time, but I'll try to remember to get a pic next time I am. It looks cooler than I describe it.

This is vaguely reminiscent of a twin trunk cottonwood I know of. One normal informal upright almost broom style trunk, the other apparently blown over in a storm, but still grew. Laid over until just above the ground, some pretty interesting curves in it. Haven't been out that way in quite some time, but I'll try to remember to get a pic next time I am. It looks cooler than I describe it.
Yeah this was just off a branch of a tree that was growing into the walkway, so I did a layer around an area that had somewhat of some interest, there wasn’t a lot of options…. Would love to see your picture if you ever get it, sounds like a cool tree!!

Your mean just to make another formal upright tree? I would more than likely need to let these roots establish and get some strength going before considering that no? You’d just keep the curved side and abandon the twin trunk?
That would be one option. Depends a little on what direction you want to go. If you want to keep both sides on the same tree, that is fine too, but sometimes the solutions that seem obvious are overlooked.

@nuttiest why are you angry?

That would be one option. Depends a little on what direction you want to go. If you want to keep both sides on the same tree, that is fine too, but sometimes the solutions that seem obvious are overlooked.

I have worked a lot of the propagation and growing side of trees, I am just trying to now focus on design practice and “rules” of bonsai. I’ve purchased a few books, watched countless videos but it’s always much different when the project is starring you in the face!

because they just got done layering, it looked like you were saying selection of layer was wrong to begin with

because they just got done layering, it looked like you were saying selection of layer was wrong to begin with
It’s ok dude. It probably wasn’t the most ideal spot in bonsai speaking terms, it was just a branch that had grown into my walkway so I made a little project out of it. I’m always open to all sides of perspective, so anyone’s perspectives welcome!

Back
Top Bottom