Please be kind - Japanese Beech

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi,

At the request of @JudyB I'm (reluctantly) posting this tree which is still a long way from where I want it to be. I'm notoriously bad at keeping pics but it started out something like this and then planted out in the grow beds to get bigger. I love Japanese Beech and was inspired by BVF many years ago (thank you!) to go on a splurge and buy some seedlings and also a grafted Fuji which has daintier leaves - I think I have 4 trees now and bought another to replace this one I've dug up.

IMG_20170818_193147_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

It stayed in my beds except for the occasional dig up until last season when it was root pruned and placed in this special Yamucky crate - note the patina on the cream glaze.

IMG_20170818_192902_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

The brown cut out container around the base of the tree is filled with chopped sphagnum moss and DE in an attempt to encourage better lateral surface rooting. I need to get as good a spread as I can to move this tree forward - at least now it's in a container I can more easily manage the nebari now.

The tree as it is now, about 22 inches high. It needs wiring to get some better rhythm in the branches and I've got a pot being made for next season.

IMG_20170818_192854_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Comments welcomed :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice. You've done quite well developing this one!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Certainly doesn't look like you need any "help"......"Please be kind"?.......Kindness is you sharing some pretty impressive development!!:confused::p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

While there may be a long road ahead, it would appear you got the road graded for asphalt, planted the grass along the side and picked up all the porta-potties......:cool::cool::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It should be exquisite in your garden, you know, once it's not growing out of a Wabi-Sabi hamper.....o_O:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Time frame on the pictures you've posted? Don't see many trees done this well that were grown into a bonsai. Nice!!!;):):):):):):)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, you've definitely got an eye for bonsai, assuming you're relatively new-ish to it. I'm developing a lot of young trees right now, If they look 70% as good as yours I'll feel ok about em.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
No need to be nice, the only thing bad I could say about your trees is they may not be masterpieces for a few more years to come. The only suggestion I would make it to go for a wider fuller look by letting the growth run a bit more freely for a few years.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
No need to be nice, the only thing bad I could say about your trees is they may not be masterpieces for a few more years to come. The only suggestion I would make it to go for a wider fuller look by letting the growth run a bit more freely for a few years.

I agree completely - the silhouette is too narrow for a convincing Beech image. The shears will get little use apart from thinning leaves to allow light to the inner buds.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it's important for us to share developing trees here as well as what we would consider trees that are closer to peak. I am glad you shared this with us. I think the rhythm the branches have up the trunk is very nice, and wiring will make it very much nicer. Once you are a bit wider, I think the apex will look more in tune as well. Bravo!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You're very kind but I'm not exactly happy with it as it is.
I understand, but I love seeing little sticks, like your first pic, turned into something that looks like a real tree!
Don't beat yourself up, I'm sure it'll be killer once wired out and dialed in....

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
May I repeat all of the previous flattering comments!
Very nice progression!
Could we have one more photo of the other side, please @Marie1uk

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice development there!
To see this grown from effectively a seedling.. I need to have you over for a weekend and pick your brains I think.

In any case.. I had a look at this, and personally, I think it would be better balanced if the canopy is brought down a bit, along these lines; It would be rounder but also better matched with the trunk, I think. Furthermore I suppose an extra branch im the back might help your tree, and create a bit more depth?

beech.jpg

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I think it's very nice, and particularly appreciate that you have grown it yourself from nothing. I probably agree w leatherbacks idea also, unless you are still trying to gain height. Perhaps beech are "supposed" to be straight like in most Japanese pics of them, I don't really know, but I like the unusual amount of movement you've been able to put in the trunk line, as well as what appears to be some ruggedness that I believe must have come from pruning and growing, and time.

63pmp

Shohin
Reaction score
Its a very young bonsai for j beech.

The crown is too dense and is dominating the lower branches. the crown needs thinning of branches. 22 inches is a good height for beech.

For others reading this

Beech are very different to maples and elms as they are so apically dominant. they also dont back bud well. Because of this they cannot be rushed as "energy" has to be constantly pushed downwards and inwards. They take much longer to develop than other deciduous trees. A positive is that trunks thicken very quickly.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice development there!
To see this grown from effectively a seedling.. I need to have you over for a weekend and pick your brains I think.

In any case.. I had a look at this, and personally, I think it would be better balanced if the canopy is brought down a bit, along these lines; It would be rounder but also better matched with the trunk, I think. Furthermore I suppose an extra branch im the back might help your tree, and create a bit more depth?

View attachment 157273
That seems like a good final height to me as well, though perhaps if the rest of the branches are grown out wider then the taller height would work. Maybe the lowest right branch would have to go if you make the tree tall like it is now?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
As it stands with this as the front, I would remove the bottom right branch, lower and thin the apex and the tree needs a very good wiring. BUT I have no idea what the nebari looks like so that should be a determining factor for the front as well. Then once that is sorted ,maybe at the next repot is spring, you should do a almost or full wireing to set the main structure as well as any cutbacks. I would like to see a bit more main branches in a beech then the hint of pine style this has. Personal taste though.You've done a fantastic job, keep it up.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that once the lower part of the tree is developed, the final height of the crown will work with the rest of the tree. Of course if the top is kept in check from becoming too heavy.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'd love to hear @Brian Van Fleet comments about how to move this forward.
It is tough to correct big flaws with Beech at this stage of development; I tried for years, and if I get another beech, I'll get with smaller material and grow them slowly forever. The main areas to address are the base, I assume, because you're working on it. The first right branch appears from the inside of a curve, one of the lower left branches is very thick. You may not be able to remove it, but maybe it's something you can work into an interesting feature. As Judy mentioned, don't let the apex get too heavy. Here is what I might try to do over the next few years:
Shorten the trunk a bit and develop a new apex, remove the lower right branch, and round out the profile.
IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1800.JPG IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1802.JPG
It's a nice tree, and as long as you don't expect it to move as quickly as a J. Maple, you'll have a good bonsai this decade.

Top Bottom