Playing around with Rosemary

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Its good you're starting it in a bonsai pot. Mine all capitulated when I tried to size it down. They don't like their roots being played with.
I have no aspirations for this straggly thing, just thought I needed to jump in the water and try something. It would just have frozen and died in a month anyway! Once I saw the flower, I wanted to save it, lol.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I like to mix it up with butter to apply it, and yes pork and chicken as well. The last Btisket I did was the first time I tried it with beef.
Never thought of using it on brisket, which is my absolute favorite smoked meat, fatty part is the best, the hell with calories! Also excellent on roasted potatoes.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yikes, to big for my indoor space anyway. All filled up after joining this forum, lol.

Honest if I were you I would try keeping it alive indoors now. They can be very interesting potted and good experience... Here are some basic guidelines - http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/rosemary/grow-rosemary-indoors.htm. Also, I have seen far worse initial attempts, even on my own so keep at it and above all enjoy!

Grimmy

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
View attachment 120058 View attachment 120059 View attachment 120061 I figured all my of herbs were going to freeze pretty soon, so decided to play around with what was left of my rosemary. I KNOW this is not bonsai, and I'm sure the wiring sucks really bad (first attempt). Just had some time to kill while the husband was trimming our real trees. I thought it would be good practice, so don't rip me too hard.
Now just twist the poop out of it! Make it crazy with tight twists and bends.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I love Rosemary! I have a good sized one, but I think @Vin has a REALLY COOL one!
@Stickroot Thanks! You're probably talking about this one:

Cascade Rosemary September 2015.jpg

It has lost some vigor this year near the bottom of the cascade (this photo is from last year). I have two in the ground that will eventually be used for bonsai as well. My advice for @Carol 83 would be to plant hers in the ground until the trunk thickens a bit more. My plan for the two in the ground is exactly that. My understanding of Rosemary for bonsai is to plant them in the ground to bulk them up. Dig them up every Spring and do a "little" root work and replant them for another year. Once you put them in a bonsai pot they simply just don't grow much anymore. Also, be very careful with wiring older wood. Old wood on Rosemary is not very forgiving.

DSCF0999.jpg

Last edited:

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Stickroot Thanks! You're probably talking about this one:

View attachment 120118

It has lost some vigor this year near the bottom of the cascade (this photo is from last year). I have two in the ground that will eventually be used for bonsai as well. My advice for @Carol 83 would be to plant hers in the ground until the trunk thickens a bit more. My plan for the two in the ground is exactly that. My understanding of Rosemary for bonsai is to plant them in the ground to bulk them up. Dig them up every Spring and do a "little" root work and replant them for another year. Once you put them in a bonsai pot they simply just don't grow much anymore. Also, be very careful with wiring older wood. Old wood on Rosemary is not very forgiving.

View attachment 120119
Oh the "moonscape"! So cool!

Reactions: Vin

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Now just twist the poop out of it! Make it crazy with tight twists and bends.
I thought that sounded like fun, but the branches are very brittle. Try to bend too much, and snap. I don't think it broke all of the way but if so, not too much damage done. But I really liked the idea.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The issue I have with this tree is the fact that it is still in a nursery pot. Hopefully, the new owner is able to get it into a bonsai pot without killing it. It's a beautiful example of Rosemary in a tree form but only half the battle has been won. I'm inclined to treat them like Azaleas and keep them in a deeper pot. That's my plan anyway.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The issue I have with this tree is the fact that it is still in a nursery pot. Hopefully, the new owner is able to get it into a bonsai pot without killing it. It's a beautiful example of Rosemary in a tree form but only half the battle has been won. I'm inclined to treat them like Azaleas and keep them in a deeper pot. That's my plan anyway.

I think the soil mix is really critical as well. Here in Southern California they grow perfectly happily in hard-as-rock clay. My inclination would be to stay away from a heavy organic mix but what do I know - I haven't had one in a bonsai pot ever.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the soil mix is really critical as well. Here in Southern California they grow perfectly happily in hard-as-rock clay. My inclination would be to stay away from a heavy organic mix but what do I know - I haven't had one in a bonsai pot ever.
The other possible controversy among those that grow them is watering. I water mine every single day in the summer and every other day in the winter. I gave one to my daughter who is not as regimented and it almost died until I got it back. Maybe the sharing of experiences on sites like this will educate more of us and result in successful growing as bonsai?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The one I just trimmed is getting twice a day watering (because weather is still in the upper 70's), but I have already backed off the duration by 25% and am about to drop to daily watering as soon as we get our first rain / humidity (which may be as early as this evening if you believe the forecast). I did not repot - I just reduced the rootball by maybe 25%. In the nursery pot it is in 100% organic mix and I was surprised the bottom 50% of the pot was waterlogged.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Here is the cascade today:

View attachment 120372
Very impressive. I appreciate your advice about leaving in the ground to thicken up, but I don't think it would make it through the winter in my climate. I know @Stickroot said his mother's does alright in the ground, and we live fairly close, but mine is a small first year from the nursery plant. Thank you for showing what is possible.

Top Bottom