Planting in the Fall?

Grizzly25

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all, new to bonsai and hoping for some help. I live in Denver, CO (recently moved here, so this will be my first fall/winter here), and am wondering if I can plant some seeds now and if they will survive the colder weather. I know they are supposed to be kept outside, but I am curious if they can be grown indoors early on in their lives. I have a window that gets a lot of light that they could sit in. I am hoping to buy a few different varieties of seeds and kind of seeing what does the best in the conditions. Any advice would be great! I currently have a ficus and some sort of Juniper that I bought already matured.

It really depends on the species, some seeds start growing as soon as they hit the ground, some require stratification for a period of time, would be best to look up information for whatever you are trying to plant

I would recommend against starting seeds indoors in the fall personally, they could certainly germinate but by the time they are old enough to start needing to go outside, you could be introducing them to the coldest part of winter without any adjustment period, which would be a lot more dangerous.

Welcome!

What species?

I started in 2020 and planted seeds in September due to impatience. I kept them indoors for the first few weeks and used a cheap grow light. They nearly died until I got them outside into real sun. Here is the thread for that: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/damping-off.46132/

However, if they are in a bright, sunny window, they might make it to spring.

Ideally, you would probably just use the winter to stratify (depending on the species) and then sow in spring.

If you have enough seeds, why not try some now and some in spring?

It really depends on the species, some seeds start growing as soon as they hit the ground, some require stratification for a period of time, would be best to look up information for whatever you are trying to plant

I would recommend against starting seeds indoors in the fall personally, they could certainly germinate but by the time they are old enough to start needing to go outside, you could be introducing them to the coldest part of winter without any adjustment period, which would be a lot more dangerous.
Ah yes, I had not considered that. I can definitely wait, I am just excited to get started and didn't want to wait haha. Thanks for the advice!

Welcome!

What species?

I started in 2020 and planted seeds in September due to impatience. I kept them indoors for the first few weeks and used a cheap grow light. They nearly died until I got them outside into real sun. Here is the thread for that: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/damping-off.46132/

However, if they are in a bright, sunny window, they might make it to spring.

Ideally, you would probably just use the winter to stratify (depending on the species) and then sow in spring.

If you have enough seeds, why not try some now and some in spring?
I havent gotten any seeds yet, as I was trying to figure out the best ones to get to where they'd have the best shot at surviving. I am also impatient, so trying to find something that will work now.

And I agree! I might as well try some now and then again in the spring, it can't hurt!

Back
Top Bottom