Places to buy Pines for Niwaki

SmallTreeGuy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello all! I hope this is an ok place to ask this, but I am wondering if any of you fine folks know of any recommendations of places online (or in person) to buy larger ornamental trees for the landscape (specifically pine) suitable for Niwaki. I live in zone 8b, more specifically, Dallas. I’m familiar with Conifer Kingdom, but am not finding much else in my research regarding this. I'm looking for pines that are 4-7 feet tall that would be good candidates for Niwaki. Price isn’t necessarily an issue, but finding the right trees is what I’m more concerned with. I really appreciate this site and all of you who help contribute. Thanks all!

Check out family owned nurseries near you. My nearby nursery sells bigger Japanese black pines but they’re still pricey at 240 each
I agree with this. The big box chain stores (Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc.) don’t typically carry the pine species that are most desirable for niwaki. Your best bet is the local mom & pop nursery. If you’re walking around and see a bunch of Iseli or Eshraghi tags on trees, you’re probably in the right spot to find what you’re looking for. Even then, you may not find it on the first visit, as availability varies and the species you want may be in high demand and the supply limited.

In fort Worth is an amazing Japanese maple nursery. Metro maples. They recently sold some kotobuki Japanese black pine. Across the street is The Tree Place, they have jbp both thunderhead and kotobuki.

Northhaven gardens has some iseli Japanese maples, as does Covington's.

Almost all black pine in dfw is thunderhead variety. Austrian black pine van be used for niwaki.

You can also find deoder cedar. At a few places. But if you want already made niwaki, phuongs in garland.

In fort Worth is an amazing Japanese maple nursery. Metro maples. They recently sold some kotobuki Japanese black pine. Across the street is The Tree Place, they have jbp both thunderhead and kotobuki.

Northhaven gardens has some iseli Japanese maples, as does Covington's.

Almost all black pine in dfw is thunderhead variety. Austrian black pine van be used for niwaki.

You can also find deoder cedar. At a few places. But if you want already made niwaki, phuongs in garland.
Metro maples is amazing! Didn’t know they sold pines. Will have to make it over there again and visit The Tree Place while I’m over there. Great recommendations. Thank you very much!

Phuongs nursery in garland Texas. He sells imported niwaki. These are perfect Japanese niwaki trees, massive Japanese black pine etc.
Oh wow! I thought I had exhausted all other options in DFW. Thank you!

Oh wow! I thought I had exhausted all other options in DFW. Thank you!
I only found it because I was in garland at Covington's and decided to Google maps search nursery figuring I was already in the area.

When I arrived he had a parking lot with about 30 Japanese white pine and 30 Japanese black pine between 8 and 20 feet tall, 100 pots of Japanese quince, and more juniper than I had ever seen.

It's likely one of the only places in the USA. Extremely random. He says he mostly has Asian customers and does wholesale for Asian nursery etc. also has a lot of indoor bonsai and south east Asian fruit.

The owner is awesome.

Metro maples is amazing! Didn’t know they sold pines. Will have to make it over there again and visit The Tree Place while I’m over there. Great recommendations. Thank you very much!
They occasionally have a few pines and ginkos. They said the pines were new this year. They are the only carrier of satsuki azaleas I have found in the dfw area as well.

I only found it because I was in garland at Covington's and decided to Google maps search nursery figuring I was already in the area.

When I arrived he had a parking lot with about 30 Japanese white pine and 30 Japanese black pine between 8 and 20 feet tall, 100 pots of Japanese quince, and more juniper than I had ever seen.

It's likely one of the only places in the USA. Extremely random. He says he mostly has Asian customers and does wholesale for Asian nursery etc. also has a lot of indoor bonsai and south east Asian fruit.

The owner is awesome.
It sounds like paradise! I must go after this cold spell we are having!

Back
Top Bottom