Pitch Pine second flush

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IWhen you cut, did you leave a portion of the first flush? A set of needles or so? I only ask because I have the same looking growth on my JBP, and when I presented it to people, they said it was this juvenile growth I had heard about.

No, I left no needles, only a small stub from teh previous candle. You can see it in the picture in the first post that show the new buds. You do the same thing with JBP. You do not leave needles there.

NOTE you do not do this on single flush pines. There are different techniques to deal with them.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
@Paradox Yeah, definitely wouldn't do this on single flush. Cut off all needles = Dead Tip. Hmm, I guess that's just not the candle i am used to seeing. You know what I mean by that too. That dense, thick bundle that pushes out a plethora of needles. The ones I had like the ones pictured did eventually grow regular needles, but more sparse and with longer internodes between pairs. Along the rings of those "sheath-like" green protrusions.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Paradox Yeah, definitely wouldn't do this on single flush. Cut off all needles = Dead Tip. Hmm, I guess that's just not the candle i am used to seeing. You know what I mean by that too. That dense, thick bundle that pushes out a plethora of needles. The ones I had like the ones pictured did eventually grow regular needles, but more sparse and with longer internodes between pairs. Along the rings of those "sheath-like" green protrusions.

Every pine is different. This is pitch pine, it looks very different than JBP

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pitch pines are one of the only pines that can be trunk chopped to below foliage and survive. I'm not sure I would have the nerve to try it though.
This photo demonstrates why this is possible. This is back-budding way down on the trunk of a mature tree. It is an adaptation to survive fires. I saw a bunch of cool Pitch Pines on a recent trip to Cape Cod. I'd love to work with them!
IMG_4404.JPG

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How cold hardy are these trees?
Can you smell what I got cooking?

Just to give you an idea of how ridiculously tough these trees are. I got 3 old nursery trees that were pulled out of their pots, thrown in the woods, and then I salvaged them. They have endured -40, ice storms, all round shitty weather! Out of 3, 1 died this spring, 1 I removed ALL branches and it is budding on the trunk, the third one was chopped and kept a few leggy branches, and it's budding everywhere!20180623_112203.jpg20180623_112240.jpg20180623_112138.jpg20180623_112151.jpg20180623_112113.jpg20180623_112126.jpg20180623_112309.jpg

Top Bottom