Pink Flowering Crabapple

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm ready to step out of the tropical/sub-tropical box a bit, and I know crabapple do fine here in my yard. We had a beautiful big pink one that we had to take down after severe straight line winds (some say tornado) a few years back. I have a white one in the yard, which is OK, but I really like the pink. Just wondering if anyone had any/knew where to get one. It doesn't have to be super big or refined, just old enough to bloom. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have some double flowering pinks in my landscape that are gorgeous, but the blooms are maybe too large for bonsai. I believe they're called Guinevere.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Loads of 1gal. Stock from Evergreengardenworks.com
Plenty of pictures......if only one could choose what actual tree they want...maybe an email and you could choose possibly bigger ones.
I am going to have to get me one of them ‘Mary Potter’.Maybe try cuttings.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Plenty of pictures......if only one could choose what actual tree they want...maybe an email and you could choose possibly bigger ones.
Actually, I was on their website yesterday (slow day at work) and that is the variety I had picked out. Just thought I'd check here before I ordered it. :).

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i want some from brent too...there are several like 'tina' and toringo to name a few...too bad he's not in ohio or i'd be at his place in person!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
dsc01010-jpg.99753

dsc01048-jpg.101523

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea Ive contacted him,I want a few of these to propogate and grow.....just want to be sure I can delay shipping till later

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BC Bonsai to the West of Chicago has two types on their plant list. Midget and Japanese crab apple. They will be at the ABS show this year. They have a nursery in Paw Paw, which is Zone 6, so they should be safe for you with little Winter protection.

You may want to contact Linda at http://www.bcbonsai.com.

I looked at Cass Bonsai, but they did not have a species list up. They will be at the show as well.

The Hidden Gardens, http://www.thehiddengardens.net , is the other Bonsai nursery in the Chicago area. They do not have a species list or calendar up, but you may want to contact them as well.

I have had nothing but good experiences with all three of these people. If you contact them they will let you know if they have what you want, they will bring it to the show if they are attending and hold it for you.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Got my order in from Brent,I am interested in that Zumi hybid he offers ,so got a couple of them also along with Marry Potter....I’ve seen that Zumi type in Bonsai Today magazine.
They all look great though....delivery first week of April:D

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
BC Bonsai to the West of Chicago has two types on their plant list. Midget and Japanese crab apple. They will be at the ABS show this year. They have a nursery in Paw Paw, which is Zone 6, so they should be safe for you with little Winter protection.

You may want to contact Linda at http://www.bcbonsai.com.

I looked at Cass Bonsai, but they did not have a species list up. They will be at the show as well.

The Hidden Gardens, http://www.thehiddengardens.net , is the other Bonsai nursery in the Chicago area. They do not have a species list or calendar up, but you may want to contact them as well.

I have had nothing but good experiences with all three of these people. If you contact them they will let you know if they have what you want, they will bring it to the show if they are attending and hold it for you.
I've been to Cass a couple times, great guys, and very helpful. I know they're coming to the show in Collinsville in April. I may E-mail him and see what he has. I also need something nice for my @sorce cascade pot.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been to Cass a couple times, great guys, and very helpful. I know they're coming to the show in Collinsville in April. I may E-mail him and see what he has. I also need something nice for my @sorce cascade pot.

I remember you saying you had been to Cass, that is why I did not post their website.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow....lots of crabapple posts on here if you search.I am shocked really!
I left messages on quite a few members posts for updates lol

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 177377

Acquired last year. No idea of flower color yet. Repot this spring and a couple seasons to build the vigor back up and see what we get.
Sweet!
I like where it is going already.....I heard these Crabapples to be like Elms with flowers and fruit.
These photos I see of various apples when blooming are really something to behold.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Wow....lots of crabapple posts on here if you search.I am shocked really!
I left messages on quite a few members posts for updates lol
I know, lol, I looked at them yesterday. Like I said, slow day at work.;)

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know, lol, I looked at them yesterday. Like I said, slow day at work.;)
Yes,such a glorious way to spend the day at work.
I had it just like that today.....luckily 2” of rain and NOT 2 feet of snow forecast,stepped outside to a bunch of robbins in the tree on a foggy morning today and headed to work....was slow at work....ordered some crabapples,thanks to your thread and the photo from @iant .And the weather looks fine for the rest of February.....hope I didn’t jinx it:confused:

Top Bottom