Pine to learn on

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I didnt move up north..just to a different location in the area.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah i cut it back early yesterday morning. Still left alot of green, but playing it safe.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When buds start popping again i will post pics.

Rick

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still have it and its very healthy. I just cant get it to back bud lower on the trunk.
I didn't think you were still with us Rick.
Nice to see you back!
I know nothing about this tree at all.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It supposed to back bud well on old wood but i cant get it to. Maybe the change in climate will change that i moved a little futher north.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Im going to be cutting it back today. I also picked up a couple of seedling im going to grow out some and see if i can get some lower branches on those. On the next repot im going to have to figure something out with the surface roots.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im going to be cutting it back today. I also picked up a couple of seedling im going to grow out some and see if i can get some lower branches on those. On the next repot im going to have to figure something out with the surface roots.
If they backbud on old wood,can't you force the one you have?

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well according to everything ive read yes i should be able to. This one just doesnt want to play nice. I was going to make a literati out of it but the trunk is to big. So i will start refinement and pull some branches down to fill in some negitive space. Thanks for responding.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm watching carefully rick, I started a few from seed (since they grow so fast) and have a few saplings already (perfect nebari) and I tossed a bunch out of recent frustration. I can buy them larger and more established but after collecting opinions from some folks who've worked with them I'm not completely sold. I LOVE the species and already regret tossing some of my saplings but I worry the needle reduction is harmful and very temporary. Which is fine, it just irks me personally. I wonder though if there isn't a trick to prevent that obnoxious needle length without slowing murdering the trees.

Last edited:

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have cut this one back hard for 2 seasons down in texas i got 4 flushes a season out of it. I have even cut the needle length to try and get this one to backbud lower on the trunk. I may be wasting my time with it, but hey its just time and time is free. It just got cut back and needles cut short again so i will see what happens this time around. I dont think i will see 4 flushes in missouri i seen in texas but i have to be careful. I am hoping for 3 though. I am pretty much working until 4 pm tomorrow but i will take a good pic of the tree and post it here.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Another thing im curious about on these seedlings is how fast the beef up on the trunk.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok its not the best pic but here it is. The bad thing about buying a Home Depot tree is they remove all the lower branches. This will be my 3rd summer with this tree
20180504_131237.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With what's there I'd cut off all but one of the top branches probably keep the one on the left and bend it into some sort of literati.
Maybe leave the bottom branch too for now.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That was my thinking too, but i will wait until fall to make the cuts. That should give me 2 flushes of growth to work it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
have cut this one back hard for 2 seasons down in texas i got 4 flushes a season out of it. I have even cut the needle length to try and get this one to backbud lower on the trunk

Ryan Neil talks about the traffic between roots and branches causing backbuds.

I have separated these 2 events in my mind.

Health, and growth, (more than you get cutting back hard in 2 seasons..) Is what causes the backbudding. Budding!

Chopping the tree, or pruning.....
Is what activates these buds...turns them into branches.

Especially with pines.

If you dont see the buds...there is no reason to chop.

Mo?

Sorce

Top Bottom