Pine to learn on

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
20160530_151852.jpg 20160530_151819.jpg I purchased this loblolly pine to practice on while i save up for a good JBP. Figuered for the price it would be good learning stock. The tree has a 2.5" trunk at the base and is approximately 7ft tall right now. During dormancy i will chop the trunk, and grow a new leader. One the trunk pic you can see it throws buds on old wood but theres not enough light for them to survive. Not counting on it but hopefully after trunk chop it will throw some buds down there. Now for the pics.

Rick

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is loblolly a single flush or double flush pine?

If single flush, it won't teach you anything about JBP.

The best way to learn about JBP is to buy one of George Muranaka's JBP he sells on eBay. He starts them in the ground, so there's a decent 1 1/2 inch trunk, he's done the chop, he grows them so that there's decent low branches, he's got them started in bonsai soil.

For $125 or so, they're tough to beat!

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score

The best way to learn about JBP is to buy one of George Muranaka's JBP he sells on eBay. He starts them in the ground, so there's a decent 1 1/2 inch trunk, he's done the chop, he grows them so that there's decent low branches, he's got them started in bonsai soil.

Link ?

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I dont know theres not much info on them. The candles are just needling out on this one. I got is one for 25.00 so im not out too much. Last time i looked i didnt see anyrhing that had any potential that i liked. Alot of straight trunks.
At least on his ebay site anyway.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

It is a double flush pine. Just found the info.

Rick

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont know theres not much info on them. The candles are just needling out on this one. I got is one for 25.00 so im not out too much. Last time i looked i didnt see anyrhing that had any potential that i liked. Alot of straight trunks.
At least on his ebay site anyway.

Rick
And your loblolly trunk has a lot of movement?

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Up a little futher from the pic i took it moves to the left. I bought it just to learn on so i dont have to take a expensive tree to the burn pile if i mess it up.

Rick

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You can treat it like a JBP. Your challenge will be to get any foliage to work with that is emerging close to the trunk.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
You can treat it like a JBP. Your challenge will be to get any foliage to work with that is emerging close to the trunk.
This helped me alot. I bought a few nursery stock jbp 2 years ago. Planted them into the ground and a 5gallon pot. Then let them grow and first of the spring once I seen the buds emerging I cut back alot to get back budding. This is a good video on 2 flush pines.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
https://www.ebay.com/itm/191750824381

This is the only one in that price range right now. He usually has 3 or 4. He has some more expensive ones available.
I will keep watching his ebay page.when i find one i like i will pull the trigger on it. In the mean time i can still learn alot from this tree. Practice wiring, just keeping it alive, things like that.

Rick

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ryan knows his stuff.

But when starting off, it's SO MUCH EASIER AND FASTER to start with something that has been raised with the express purpose of making it into a bonsai.

You don't have to "put it in the ground for two years", then cut it back and hope you get back budding where you want it.

George Muranaka has already done all that. Now, you can start with the fun stuff: decandling, wiring, needle pulling... Rather than, planting in the ground, fertilizing, waiting, watering, waiting, fertilize some more, wait, water, dig back up, wait for a year for it to adjust to bring in a pot, and THEN cut back and hope for good backbudding???

Believe me, the extra $100 bucks is worth it!

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I chopped this tree down to around the 2' mark because i thought i was going to have to move again, and it wouldnt fit in my SUV. It threw buds everywhere. Actually think im going to get a second flush this year

Rick

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
For the guy in Maryland: Go to Meehan's Miniatures and find some Japanese Black Pines. they have very nice stock and very reasonable prices.

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,

I had a lob lolly and it flushed 3 times for me during the growing season. lost it due to a too aggressive re potting. they don't like the re potting thing. got the needles down from normal to 1 1/2 ". They back bud on the trunk if pruned really hard...if I should prune a black pine like that it would die

Best regards
herman

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
20160622_180447.jpg
If i cut this back can i get some buds lower on the trunk or will i have to graft

Herman thanks for your advice.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello,

I had a lob lolly and it flushed 3 times for me during the growing season. lost it due to a too aggressive re potting. they don't like the re potting thing. got the needles down from normal to 1 1/2 ". They back bud on the trunk if pruned really hard...if I should prune a black pine like that it would die

Best regards
herman
How should i handle repotting..take a 1/4 of the root ball off at a time each repot.

Rick

Top Bottom