Picked up a lovely shade quince today...

jtanch

Seed
Reaction score
This was a roller coaster of emotion. I was not prepared for this. What was the final culprit, water mold? Do you have a well, or rain water storage?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This was a roller coaster of emotion. I was not prepared for this. What was the final culprit, water mold? Do you have a well, or rain water storage?
My well water is fine,tested per month by a company. Live at a private lake association...Government mandate since 911.

I didn't do a full bareroot when I repotted the first time. So most likely in the soil. Should have repotted this year...but read they can go every 2 years without. So left it alone.
I would rather it be this...than a pathogen that coukd spread to existing trees. Got to count ones blessings and look for positive in this.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Got to count ones blessings and look for positive in this.

Could be far worse, now that the weather is breaking I have little hope for 30 or so making it, some quite special... I must admit though just losing one is significant once owned for some time...

I am considering not replacing anything this year and perhaps going to more Fruits and Junipers in Spring 2019, just getting tired of it and those are good here.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Could be far worse, now that the weather is breaking I have little hope for 30 or so making it, some quite special... I must admit though just losing one is significant once owned for some time...

I am considering not replacing anything this year and perhaps going to more Fruits and Junipers in Spring 2019, just getting tired of it and those are good here.

Grimmy
Dang Grimmy...so sorry to hear this. You were just getting back on your feet. Any clue what took that many trees?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dang Grimmy...so sorry to hear this. You were just getting back on your feet. Any clue what took that many trees?

Many were the heater malfunction when I was down with the Flu. Several outdoors were pushing buds weekly in between the 4 back to back Nor'easters and "might" again but I am doubtful. For the record they were large plants out there and have been ok until then... So I guess the short story is bad heater, bad weather.
I have a couple being cared for by Pro's off site and those are hours away but fine. Either way though I am going to take this Summer off and care for what is left, add the Fountain, rework some Landscape, and care for any Flora Crystal plants :) Plenty to do, just a bit tough loosing 10 of those. On a bright note - it was not a disease, and not total devastation - the land is safe :)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Grimmy...think a secondary heater may have helped? Sometimes my heater needs assistance on those exceptionally cold days.
I doubt I ever get to a point I have a pro watch over any of my material...but glad to hear the quality stuff was not effected in the loss.

Top Bottom