Picked up a lovely shade quince today...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Posting here...undecided if I will attempt a cascade...or toss it into the landscape. Planting so it will eventually cascade over the rock wall. Or down over one of the rocks on the waterfall. No real good clump material. Tagged Texas Scarlet...yet blooms look coral/salmon in color. (Has one crossing twisted root to deal with if heading toward bonsai material.)

image.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tagged Texas Scarlet...yet blooms look coral/salmon in color.

Nice! But my best guess it is not a Texas Scarlet as mine were always Deep Red. Keep a close look at it - If it has a lot of various color blooms it "could" be a toyo nishiki and if so I MUST HAVE some!

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice! But my best guess it is not a Texas Scarlet as mine were always Deep Red. Keep a close look at it - If it has a lot of various color blooms it "could" be a toyo nishiki and if so I MUST HAVE some!

Grimmy

Looks to be uniform color. I doubt it changes to have various blooms. One said it could be tagged wrong as you mention...or, conditions have caused the blooms to turn this shade. Really love this color...

They had a good 15 pots or so of this color quince.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks to be uniform color. I doubt it changes to have various blooms. One said it could be tagged wrong as you mention...or, conditions have caused the blooms to turn this shade. Really love this color...

They had a good 15 pots or so of this color quince.

Please PM me their information - I might be able to talk them into shipping. Also a general price appreciated! That type of color variation is of great interest to me no matter what the tag says ;)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
6" wide cascade pot...10" nursery pot. To much at one time? Still looking for a place in the yard. One location stands out on the side of the waterfall...building a flowerbeds. And having it come out over it. To hang over rocks. (Color is not in the shades I'm doing back there though... Hadn't thought of that. Unless it turns red in ground and conditions more suiting. The it would...
image.jpg

Neutral background...

image.jpg

Then think of this cascade...and go hm-mm

image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
[QUOTE="Cadillactaste, post: 340888, member: . (Has one crossing twisted root to deal with if heading toward bonsai material.)

View attachment 99756

Crossing roots are cool in quince "culture".[/QUOTE]
Slip potted it into a pot. Was able to just pull the crossed root out from under and wedged a rock to separate and keep on the appropriate side. Took a few suckers at the base, root area and buried them to form additional roots. Will be a potted garden plant. With a bit of wire tossed on for style. Now that I know it won't change colors. This has to be tagged wrong.

Thanks! Good to know its a quince "culture" trait...but...it would bother me at some point. And I was shocked at how easily it was to correct. It wasn't grafted yet to the other root.

The blooms are lovely...short lived most likely...but enjoyable when they are offered for show.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I dunno the "science" of it, but I have a few reds that vary from red to orangish to pink from year to year or season. Quince "culture", i.e. bonsai "rules" don't always apply if you're talking quince.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dunno the "science" of it, but I have a few reds that vary from red to orangish to pink from year to year or season. Quince "culture", i.e. bonsai "rules" don't always apply if you're talking quince.
Soil pH and fertilizers have a lot to do with blossom color.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Soil pH and fertilizers have a lot to do with blossom color.
Ahhh sort of like hydrangeas. Aren't they the ones you can tweak fertilizer for shade preferences. Thanks Adair...curious how to keep this shade. Not going to worry about it overly though. If it turns red. I may just toss it to the yard. The blooms were just to lovely to not grab one.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
it "could" be a toyo nishiki and if so I MUST HAVE some!
GrimLore, I picked up a couple of those last fall at my local Lowes. $1 each. I am getting multiple colors from the plant.
Kinda early yet, but I would assume that Lowes will have those again this year.Quince.jpg
CW

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Kinda early yet, but I would assume that Lowes will have those again this year.

Thank You! We drive by Lowes in Quakertown at least two times a month so I will bee sure and stop! If they have them I get a few to mess with - they just seem "to me" one of the best varieties :D Does that white sticker have the grower state on it?

Grimmy

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like North Carolina to me.

The blooms are fantastic. The internodes are long, however.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have never seen toyo nishiki for sale in any nursery around here. I'd grab a couple if I did.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice quince, @Cadillactaste ! It looks like TX Scarlet to me. They have make so much flower.

Very well could turn red...but, this Coral Sea is a dead ringer for looks as what I have. In google images over and over I see similarities that are strickenly similar.

My tree's bloom close up when it arrived here. (It's faded out some now.)
image.jpg

Coral Sea (photo stock)
image.jpg

Where it's faded to now...
image.jpg

I won't be totally disappointed if it would turn red. It can then go into my landscape. Freeing up a pot for another bonsai. ;) (Only put wire on two branches using the slingshot method to move that front branch out of the way to see the top of the pot.)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Does it get lots of sunlight? Shade could make flowers paler. I've had a white flower turn pinkish on a Toyo Nishiki after I uncovered it from a bunch of leaves and exposed it to sunlight.

Top Bottom