Picea is waking up! Repot now or wait?

RODERLO

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been checking on my trees very closely the last few days as we’ve had an extremely mild couple of days here in The Netherlands.
I’ve just noticed my picea coming to life today.

The tree is also riddled with buds, which quite surprised me as it started life as just one of those garden center christmas tree bonsai projects. I’ve planted it in just regular peet and other than one styling session 2 years ago and pinching new growth last year I’ve mostly ignored it.

Last year's growth was quite meager so I figured it wouldn’t get on track to great vigour until I potted it into a well draining substrate. However, the tree seems to be sitting happily in it’s compost, apparently.

So my question is: should I go ahead and repot this one, now the buds are opening? Or just roll with it and let it grow and repot later this year? It’s also in a really ugly plastic pot which I really want to get rid off.

IMG_2860.jpeg

IMG_2861.jpegIMG_2862.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks safe to repot at this time, the bud break is just beginning! If concerned dial back on the root cutting and focus on the soil change out as well as arranging roots.

RODERLO

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks safe to repot at this time, the bud break is just beginning! If concerned dial back on the root cutting and focus on the soil change out as well as arranging roots.
Thanks! I’ve not repotted picea before. I remember reading somewhere that picea may slouch after a spring repot. Better to repot in fall, to prevent this.

Secondly, I’ve also read it’s best to keep part of the original soil at the core of the rootball as picea don’t like this part to be disturbed.

How have you found this in practice?

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I always repot mine in the end of winter or the beginning of spring - you should be fine just don't be to harsh on the roots.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Better to repot in fall, to prevent this
No horticultural basis for this comment.
Secondly, I’ve also read it’s best to keep part of the original soil at the core of the rootball as picea don’t like this part to be disturbed.
Conifers are not usually bare rooted!

Focussing on the soil change out over root cutting does not mean bare rooting. Use the 1/2HBR method. Do not leave native soil under the shin or central core long term/

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
EDIT: answered my own question - follow the 1/2HBR method - I don't think I have ever bare roots a conifer - just kinda changed what par of the soil that needs it. Just look it up and you should be fine

RODERLO

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No horticultural basis for this comment.

Conifers are not usually bare rooted!

Focussing on the soil change out over root cutting does not mean bare rooting. Use the 1/2HBR method. Do not leave native soil under the shin or central core long term/
Thank you for clearing that up Frank.

EDIT: answered my own question - follow the 1/2HBR method - I don't think I have ever bare roots a conifer - just kinda changed what par of the soil that needs it. Just look it up and you should be fine
I will look into this method you both mention. Much appreciated!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I always repot spruce in the spring right when the first few buds are pushing off the sheath and it’s always worked well for me. Never had one skip a beat.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
1/2 HBR simply means dealing with one side of the root ball at a time. Leaving the other side basically until the next repot. This ensure that the tree is less affected each time it is repotted safeguarding the health of the tree.
The best approach is to examine the root ball and choose the side or portion with the weakest root structure to do first. This leaves the stronger section to support the tree while the weak side is strengthened. Then when the stronger side is dealt with on the next repot the weaker side has recovered and has a strong set of new feeder roots to support the tree.
Adjusting for spruce , cut no more than 1/3 of the roots when doing any one side. Comb out the roots and replace soil on the one side where you have trimmed the roots. Wait for the tree to recover fully and show good signs of new growth. One growing season or two then do the other side.
Until both sides have been dealt with adjust your watering to ensure the freer draining side does not dry out and the side that is more compacted does not stay to wet.
When learning, taking your time and staging the work is always a good choice. With experience and confidence one will begin to venture further and safely take more risk.

RODERLO

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1/2 HBR simply means dealing with one side of the root ball at a time. Leaving the other side basically until the next repot. This ensure that the tree is less affected each time it is repotted safeguarding the health of the tree.
The best approach is to examine the root ball and choose the side or portion with the weakest root structure to do first. This leaves the stronger section to support the tree while the weak side is strengthened. Then when the stronger side is dealt with on the next repot the weaker side has recovered and has a strong set of new feeder roots to support the tree.
Adjusting for spruce , cut no more than 1/3 of the roots when doing any one side. Comb out the roots and replace soil on the one side where you have trimmed the roots. Wait for the tree to recover fully and show good signs of new growth. One growing season or two then do the other side.
Until both sides have been dealt with adjust your watering to ensure the freer draining side does not dry out and the side that is more compacted does not stay to wet.
When learning, taking your time and staging the work is always a good choice. With experience and confidence one will begin to venture further and safely take more risk.
Great explanation Frank, that’s really helpful. Still in awe at the information you kind folks give away freely on this platform.

I guess I know what to do this weekend!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great explanation Frank, that’s really helpful. Still in awe at the information you kind folks give away freely on this platform.

I guess I know what to do this weekend!
Have fun and enjoy the journey. The deistination will creep up on your over time.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with the advice above.
Now is the time to repot that tree not later in the year.

Top Bottom