Penjing Project

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had the idea for this kicking around in my head for a while. It was inspired by an old thread from Grouper52 and his Chinese elm penjing. It's made from "featherlight rocks", a stepping stone and some hokkaido elms. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Any suggestions or critiques are appreciated.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had the idea for this kicking around in my head for a while. It was inspired by an old thread from Grouper52 and his Chinese elm penjing. It's made from "featherlight rocks", a stepping stone and some hokkaido elms. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Any suggestions or critiques are appreciated.

Cool, I'd be really happy to have that little creation sit in my yard, that's sure.
As far as critique, I felt that I might like it more if it had a little less ring of rock feel around the outside. Something like thisish maybe , is it any better?image.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool. Thanks. The ring is actually holding the soil in. I don't have muck so I just kinda made a pot out of rocks.

As I've sat and looked at it for the last couple hours, I've decided I'm unhappy with the slab. I think I'll replace it with a darker piece of slate or maybe a piece of wood and make it bigger, add some more rocks and a couple more trees.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nicely created. I'd go a little further on the rocks....creating a stronger perspective feel. A rock slide to the left, larger rocks in back getting smaller to the front and moss growth woven between rocks on the right. I feel like there should be a mid size rock closer to the big rock. You have the makings of a very nice sheltered oasis of growth that happened in a cove created by a landslide/rockslide. Creating more of a natural rockslide feeling rather than a circle of rocks might be worth trying. I think you can add to what you have now.

I admire your creativity, talent and skill in putting this together. I may offer alternative directions...but I have not created one of these myself. Mighty fine work by you! Keep creating....you've got the right idea in mind and each creation will get even better.

How big...or small...is this creation? Slab size?

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Really nice mate. Can see my self sitting there drinking a beer. Scaling on it is fantastic.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's pretty cool looking. You can definitely "hon non bo" this thing and turn it into an island. :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty cool. Instead of tearing it apart, go but an ink pen to match the pumice and color in the slab so it blends nicer. Cool beans though, I'd join Victorim for a beer!

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nicely done. I do think it needs a background piece. Something to indicate that the big rock is not the mountain, but a lower level of a bigger mountain. If the big rock is the mountain, the trees are as tall as the mountain. They might be as tall as a boulder, but not the mountain itself. Maybe a suiseki or mountain scene behind to give the impression of a bigger mountain existing beyond this. Oh my! What fun these are!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's actually pretty nice. Maybe as @wireme suggested, remove a couple rocks, replace with some moss and it's a wrap. Let it establish itself a bit. Maybe cut back your trees a bit in the future to emphasize that stone at the rear.

I would not change anything too drastically. Give it some time for heaven's sake!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D
Drink many beers as you ponder it's future.....:cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for all of the comments guys. Yeah, I'm not going to tear it down right now - i'll let it settle in for a while. I do have a plan to build a little wooden stand for it so I can get my fingers under it to move it around.

And Lance, many beers will be drunk. My problem with that though is that after a few, those drastic ideas start sounding a lot better. Now what happened to that branch? Oh yeah...

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Made a quick and dirty stand for this thing out of plywood and 2x4s. This makes it easier to move around at least and it'll work for now.

Someone also asked how big it is so here's a shot after a little "contemplating".

And here's some of my inspiration for this little project.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Made a quick and dirty stand for this thing out of plywood and 2x4s. This makes it easier to move around at least and it'll work for now.

Someone also asked how big it is so here's a shot after a little "contemplating".

And here's some of my inspiration for this little project.

Ahhhhhhhhh...I like it. The new rock structuring is much better. You captured a cove of growth. You gave it a scenic life....something for the eye to wander through. I'd continue to keep trimming down the trees....possibly so that the peak area of the largest background rock shows. I think trimming the trees back will add to the scale composition. Yup...easy for me to say....you have the work in front of you so you are the best judge of trimming.

I took a look at the trees and subtracted one as if had been trimmed/pruned back. My thought was to build on the flow from left to right that you created.....as reference in your photo from the tree line soil growth to the ocean. Just a thought....wanted to see what it would look like.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 13

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree that the trees need to be shortened a little. That shouldn't be a problem with these elms. I have given up rubbing the buds of off the trunk of these things. It seems they continuously bud back even when you don't want them to. Makes cutting them back pretty easy.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have this idea in my head about penjing. That is that there are different types. There are landscapes and there are mountainscapes. Of course there are many variables in either, but perspective is always the main focus of the composition. I think in a mountain scene the trees should not be taller than your mountain. Just my own persuasion for what it's worth.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bro....

Keep going across the face white with black rocks...

Looking way better already.

The spread of that stand makes it way more enjoyable.

Can you temporary some rocks in front and get a pic?

Sorce

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bro....

Keep going across the face white with black rocks...

Looking way better already.

The spread of that stand makes it way more enjoyable.

Can you temporary some rocks in front and get a pic?

Sorce

Already had that same idea. All the rocks that are sitting on the stand are loose which makes it easy to play around with.

I like it this way, although the white could represent the waves breaking against the rocky shore like in the pic above.

Last edited:

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I think your last picture is the best so far, not the photo but the Penjing....
I would like to se several more pics from different angles.
I like your mixing of the Trees, The rocks, The Moss....your scale is excellent.
The stand is a very nice Improvement.
You have an excellent talent for Landscape Bonsai ...

Top Bottom