Overwintering Chinese Elm seiju (Ulmus parvifolia)

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have a small Chinese Elm seiju (Ulmus parvifolia) that I recently purchased. According to the grower, it has never been outside (greenhose grown, probably rooted from a cutting). I have an inside place to overwinter the seedling, which is where it is now - for about a week, since arrival, but I am uncertain about whether it would be better for the plant to keep it inside, or on a shelf in the garage, or to place it outside. I am in zone 8 and we have already seen nighttime temps down to 30 degrees F. If outside, I would keep it on the ground in a slightly protected place.

My options are sunroom (Avg temp of 60-70 degrees F with soft undirect sunlight, garage (dark with temp down to a little above freezing), or outside in zone 8.

What shoud I do? Thanks for your advice.

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

I have two Hokkaidos from I think the same seller. I’m in 7B and I’m leaving mine out with the rest of my elms. It hasn’t gone dormant but the rest of my propagated Chinese elms haven’t gone dormant yet either.

I have two Hokkaidos from I think the same seller. I’m in 7B and I’m leaving mine out with the rest of my elms. It hasn’t gone dormant but the rest of my propagated Chinese elms haven’t gone dormant yet either.
Not sure why I said I bought my little tree. It was a birthday gift from my wife. She ordered it from Hirt's Gardens. I think it was about $9.00 US. Cute little sprig of a tree. I'll wait until spring before repotting it.

Not sure why I said I bought my little tree. It was a birthday gift from my wife. She ordered it from Hirt's Gardens. I think it was about $9.00 US. Cute little sprig of a tree. I'll wait until spring before repotting it.
Mine were from Hirt’s also, you got a good wife! 👍

I recently got a few from Hirt's. They are in a coldframe. I am zone 6.

If it has never been outside I would probably opt for leaving it outside in a sheltered location while the temps are not yet below freezing to fully trigger dormancy. I would probably transition to in the garage once temps are steadily below freezing, if that ever happens where you are.

My elms, in zone 8b, have always been outside all year.

As for wintering over, I was thinking similar to @InstilledChaos. The tree has been inside the entire time, so it needs transitioning and the garage would be a good place to do so now. Even better if there is a window. Water sparingly, yet consistantly.

Also, check the trees roots to see if it’s root bound, which is likely. If so, I’d get a 3” pot and similar media and slip pot the tree in there to have more mass, so it doesn’t freeze as easily. Alternately you can simply put the tree, pot and all, in a 3” container and fill the interstitial spaces with mulch or matching soil.

If the tree gets frozen in the garage, you can either put it in a safe place outside mulched in, or continue in the garage.

cheers
DSD sends

All of mine are sitting out the winter in a window well off my garage, protected from the deep freezes were are getting lately.

Outside, find a well-protected spot against the house or somewhere. It will be fine outside, just don't let it get dried out.

Back
Top Bottom