Overwintering Advice [Zone 5b]

paths00

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all,

I recently moved and am faced with implementing a new overwintering solution. Here’s a quick summary of my location and trees.
  • Northern Illinois - Zone 5b
  • Balcony is south facing
  • No access to yard
  • Garage is connected to home and in my opinion will remain far too warm in the winter
    Trees: Japanese Maples, Japanese/American Larch, Redwoods, and (Mostly) Pines and Junipers
Current thought:
Leaning towards adding a cold box on the balcony but not sure if I should add insulation, or a heating pad to the bottom of it due to it not being in contact with the ground.

If anyone has gone through something similar any advice is greatly appreciated.

Shamino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in Maine/Zone 5b and I keep my Junipers in my attached garage all winter...and with a watering every 3 weeks - 4 weeks, they do just fine. Is your garage heated? I ask because mine is not and normal in and out of the home doesn't warm the garage up to make a difference.

paths00

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in Maine/Zone 5b and I keep my Junipers in my attached garage all winter...and with a watering every 3 weeks - 4 weeks, they do just fine. Is your garage heated? I ask because mine is not and normal in and out of the home doesn't warm the garage up to make a difference.
Thanks for the response. My garage is not heated but is noticeably warmer which worries me for dormancy

paths00

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the response. My garage is not heated but is noticeably warmer which worries me for dormancy
I’ll also note — I’m in a townhome where the garage/basement are on the same level and the home itself is sandwiched between two units. Given that and southern exposure I’d say there’s a noticeable difference in garage temps

WinstonWolfe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I'd be most concerned with the maples. Everything else should be fine on the balcony. Heating pad would help, but I crowd them all together, build a seasonal structure with foam insulation on the bottom, shade cloth covering over the top, and they do fine. Ive found wind and temperature swings are more problematic than anything. Freeze/ thaw cycle can be a killer to the wrong pots and sensitive trees.

Top Bottom