Outdoor Azalea Wintering in 7A

gottmeinwasist

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello. I was gifted an outdoor azalea potted "as" a bonsai. Lives on an East facing balcony (partial sun through some trees) with limited afternoon SE exposure, cement floor and ceiling. There is some degree of wind protection. Doing well but first wintering approaching. Should I go with a cold frame, and if so, do I need to create some type of floor or it's ok just on the cement floor or on the shelf in the cold frame? I'm thinking a small purchased cold frame? Totally new to the concept of a cold frame for a plant overwintering on the balcony! Thank you

this is a little off topic but I just want to share with you all my azalea always struggled and died until i adjusted the water ph down to 4.5-5.0 and just do that by adding a splash of distilled vinegar in a 5 gallon bucket of water or so and test with a ph meter but it’s really important and they love it

A styrofoam cooler likely would do the job,

Cheers
DSD sends

I am in zone 7A also and all I do is put mulch on top of my Azalea pot and leave on the ground..no cold frame or anything at all and they are fine.

Hello. I was gifted an outdoor azalea potted "as" a bonsai. Lives on an East facing balcony (partial sun through some trees) with limited afternoon SE exposure, cement floor and ceiling. There is some degree of wind protection. Doing well but first wintering approaching. Should I go with a cold frame, and if so, do I need to create some type of floor or it's ok just on the cement floor or on the shelf in the cold frame? I'm thinking a small purchased cold frame? Totally new to the concept of a cold frame for a plant overwintering on the balcony! Thank you
A cold frame on a balcony presents an issue. Cold frames trap ambient "heat" from the ground. If the balcony is suspended with three sides (including underneath) exposed to air circulation, the temperature of the cement is going to be very close to the air temperature (same reason bridges freeze before road surfaces).

A cold frame in that situation is going to be minimally effective.

A cold frame on a balcony presents an issue. Cold frames trap ambient "heat" from the ground. If the balcony is suspended with three sides (including underneath) exposed to air circulation, the temperature of the cement is going to be very close to the air temperature (same reason bridges freeze before road surfaces).

A cold frame in that situation is going to be minimally effective.
That's kind of what I'm worried about. Maybe insulate the bottom of the cold frame somehow?

I am in zone 7A also and all I do is put mulch on top of my Azalea pot and leave on the ground..no cold frame or anything at all and they are fine.
Hello. Is your azalea on the ground? Mine would be sitting on a cement balcony - which has no insulation at all against the cold (as the ground might provide, even if it's only a few degrees. Maybe some sort of mulch and then wrapping it in burlap or something better for insulation. ?

Hello. Is your azalea on the ground? Mine would be sitting on a cement balcony - which has no insulation at all against the cold (as the ground might provide, even if it's only a few degrees. Maybe some sort of mulch and then wrapping it in burlap or something better for insulation. ?
Where in 7A are you located? I'm in Brookline, MA...the only bonsai resource I've found is Metro West Bonsai, about 45 minutes from me.

That's kind of what I'm worried about. Maybe insulate the bottom of the cold frame somehow?
If you have no access to the ground, a mulch pile against the outside wall might provide some protection. Keep the pile and the roots of the plant moist all winter. Anything that has mass and accumulates "heat" during the winter can help. The ground is perfect because it warms in the sun and that warmth is radiated at night. It's not "warm" but it's relatively warmer than the air temp. Think in those terms--mass=warmer. Styrofoam coolers probably aren't going to do much as there is no heat there to begin with. If you put mulch into the cooler that can warm up, then it might, but drainage might be an issue.

You're going to have to give it some protection. The best you can do is probably some kind of shelter on your balcony against the wall of your building.

I'm also in 7a and I put mine in a coldframe against the side of my house. However what @rockm says is true. A coldframe relies on radiant heat from the ground but also off the foundation of the house.

Also any container with a bottom is going to have to make sure it doesn't hold water

Some azalea cultivars are much hardier than others. That is why we are asking. How about posted a couple decent colored ups of the plant, showing the leaves, and flowers is these are also available.

Azaleas do not require a huge amount of resources during periods under 42 F.

The styrofoam box, sized to fit the plant will help retain heat energy in the plant, insulating it from the concrete balcony, direct sunlight and wind.

Take cover off during the warmer weather, put on at night, during cold or windy spells.

Pull the azalea out of the cooler to soak water, as needed.

A number of members in apartments have successfully used this method over the years. Not elegant, but inexpensive and effective.

Alternately one could build a nice box, with solid insulation on all sides and the cover that will do the same thing.

Cheers
DSD sends.

You'll are absolutely the best. These are some photos of my new (unexpected) bonsai. As I said, not sure "which" specific azalea it is. The florist who shipped it won't reveal the "source" of the plant in Tennessee - so I can't reach out to them directly for more information (seems silly to keep this secret!).

Attachments

• IMG_2727.JPG
    IMG_2727.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2726.JPG
    IMG_2726.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2725.JPG
    IMG_2725.JPG
    444 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2724.JPG
    IMG_2724.JPG
    437 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2723.JPG
    IMG_2723.JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 7
Looks like a florist azalea / Belgian indica azalea that was grown indoors. It does look healthy, though. But may not be hardy in zone 7. Also, I thought Boston would be a zone 6. Guess not. Maybe more consistently cold zone 7 winters? Without any rare zone 6 winters.

Also, it seems in the US especially, they slap these Belgian indica azaleas into bonsai pots, put gravel on top for whatever reason, and sell them. Often, these azaleas do not grow properly in that pot & potting mixture. And people even put the plant indoors. Leading to many questions here about what is wrong with them when their health goes downhill.

Where in 7A are you located? I'm in Brookline, MA...the only bonsai resource I've found is Metro West Bonsai, about 45 minutes from me.
Welcome to the forum! Always good to see another New Englander.

Re: local bonsai resources- There is New England Bonsai Gardens in Bellingham- a bit further from you than Bonsai West in Littleton but very much worth the drive if you can make it. There is a club there that usually meets first Saturday of the month if you'd like to check it out.

I believe there is another bonsai club that meets periodically in or near Topsfield, though I have not visited them personally and am not sure of their schedule.

Also for what it's worth Brookline is zone 6b according to the latest USDA maps, a bit colder than 7a, though your local microclimate may differ of course.

From my experience with florist Azaleas and I have a few of them ,that I've had 20 years or so.
one of them I kept in the house all the time , and it would bloom twice a year.
however I keep them all in my garage over the winter ,with windows so they are getting light
an it doesn't drop below freezing most of the time.. I know not everyone doesn't has that kind of set up
but it works for me.

Looks like a florist azalea / Belgian indica azalea that was grown indoors. It does look healthy, though. But may not be hardy in zone 7. Also, I thought Boston would be a zone 6. Guess not. Maybe more consistently cold zone 7 winters? Without any rare zone 6 winters.

Also, it seems in the US especially, they slap these Belgian indica azaleas into bonsai pots, put gravel on top for whatever reason, and sell them. Often, these azaleas do not grow properly in that pot & potting mixture. And people even put the plant indoors. Leading to many questions here about what is wrong with them when their health goes downhill.
Thank you. As I said... gifted to me so I had no control over its choice or arrival at my doorstep. Just want to keep it healthy and thriving now that it's in my possession.
Why do you think it was grown indoors based on the photos? Just curious. The meager paperwork that came with it only says "outdoor bonsai."
I think it's worth the energy investment to nurture this into/continue it as a bonsai specimen. I think most bonsai specimen START as "other" trees/plants which are trained into a new environment as a bonsai... ?

And, thanks - I misread the new USDA Plant Hardiness Zone map! 6B it is!

From my experience with florist Azaleas and I have a few of them ,that I've had 20 years or so.
one of them I kept in the house all the time , and it would bloom twice a year.
however I keep them all in my garage over the winter ,with windows so they are getting light
an it doesn't drop below freezing most of the time.. I know not everyone doesn't has that kind of set up
but it works for me.
I wish I had the garage option.

Back
Top Bottom