Oriental Liquidambar - Leaf Reduction?

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can this tree reduce leaf size and inter-nodal distance? I may acquire a tree that will likely be < 12" in height. Great trunk, but can leaves be made proportional?.

Thanks.6b.jpg

Last edited:
Plenty of roots for liquidamber.
Leaf size seems to be related to the number of branches and twigs. The more ramification you can develop the smaller each leaf will be. It takes a few years to achieve but leaf reduction around 1/4 normal size is possible.
Internode size can be reduced with regular pruning at the right time of year.

Your challenge will be with the alternating leaf structure. If you let the growth run, you will get leggy growth and long internodes - even on young trees. Consider pinching new buds to develop finer ramification - when the tree as at this stage of development.

I noticed on mine that after a hard cut back and full defoliation mid-season the second push is about 1/2 the size and smaller of their regular leaf size. I also have to repot/bag mine this year, so that may also help reduce the leaf and internode size until the tree re-establish itself.

That one you posted seems like a VERY young tree. The one I have is 4 years old, this will be it's 5th season and it already developed bark.

1704808190520.png

I noticed on mine that after a hard cut back and full defoliation mid-season the second push is about 1/2 the size and smaller of their regular leaf size.
Like maples and probably most other species, growth is strongest in spring so early shoots have longer internodes and larger leaves. Mid season cut back is great to get more compact shoots. Sometimes spring shoots have a short internode at the base so we can cut back to one leaf but often spring shoots have a long internode first. Don't hesitate to cut back to the base to get rid of those long sections.
Early cut back will often see a repeat with more long internodes. Be patient or cut back a second or third time if necessary until you get better shoots with shorter internodes.

I also have to repot/bag mine this year, so that may also help reduce the leaf and internode size until the tree re-establish itself.
You may be surprised. I find that growth is stronger after repot/root prune as there's more root tips and better soil. Because we think that shouldn't happen it sometimes takes years until we actually finally recognize what's really happening.

You may be surprised. I find that growth is stronger after repot/root prune as there's more root tips and better soil. Because we think that shouldn't happen it sometimes takes years until we actually finally recognize what's really happening.
Yes, I do notice this in pots, but inside the RootPouch bags the tree is pushing new tips almost constantly once the roots reach the fiber. I have noticed that they do slow down a bit until this happens, then they start growing like crazy. I can tell when the pouch has "filled" to the point where fat roots start to develop because the growth slows down a bit, that's when I take them out to do root work, this liquidambar reached that point mid spring last year, too late to do root work so it is very "pot (bag) bound".

I noticed on mine that after a hard cut back and full defoliation mid-season the second push is about 1/2 the size and smaller of their regular leaf size. I also have to repot/bag mine this year, so that may also help reduce the leaf and internode size until the tree re-establish itself.

That one you posted seems like a VERY young tree. The one I have is 4 years old, this will be it's 5th season and it already developed bark.

View attachment 523859
You say my tree looks young. Because of the bark? The diameter is 3+", but I guess in the field 1 can reach that diameter in just a few years?

Back
Top Bottom