One of my favorite pots

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I thought I'd post a few pictures of this pot I purchased this past spring. It's Tokoname, by Shuho. It's 14" by 11" by 2.5", so a descent size, and I absolutely love the glaze. As with most of my nicer pots, I didn't have a tree in mind when I purchased it. I think it would look great with the right azalea, but of course, I don't have an azalea that would ever go with the pot...maybe one of my palmatums, but not for a few years. Honestly, I'll be happy looking at it on my cabinet for the next 30 plus years...my bedroom is now a cat free zone:)

Attachments

• DSCF1307.jpg
    DSCF1307.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,439
  • DSCF1308.jpg
    DSCF1308.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,262
  • DSCF1304.jpg
    DSCF1304.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 1,073
  • DSCF1306.jpg
    DSCF1306.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,048

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I love syuho pots. But I like them more for their shapes than their glazes, nothing that's somewhat readily available beats koyo glazes. You have a very nice pot indeed

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Oops I just re-read shuho not syuho. Not sure if I have any of those ;)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice pot Dave! Maybe Ryan B. will weigh in on the chop, because my Syuho pot has the same two top characters, but different bottom character, and I've seen Syuho spelled several different ways. If I'm not mistaken, the kiln name is Yoshimura...?

Fun to have pots inside on shelves, especially without cats around!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice pot Dave! Maybe Ryan B. will weigh in on the chop, because my Syuho pot has the same two top characters, but different bottom character, and I've seen Syuho spelled several different ways. If I'm not mistaken, the kiln name is Yoshimura...?

Fun to have pots inside on shelves, especially without cats around!

I've been trying to figure out whether Syuho and Shuho are the same...spent some time on Ryan's website, too with no luck... I'd love to hear what he thinks about the pot and the potter.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice pot. Do you collect pots with no intention of putting trees in them? If so you could make room by sending a few to me. I will put trees in them and send you occasional updated pics, action photos Etc. You would benefit by me weathering your pots and affording yourself more room to buy more. You could say stuff like "Some of my collection is on loan to the gardens of jkd2572". Just a thought that came to mind.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've been trying to figure out whether Syuho and Shuho are the same...spent some time on Ryan's website, too with no luck... I'd love to hear what he thinks about the pot and the potter.

the chop on mine is exactly the same as this one on eBay...glaze, feet, and size are about the same too, but mine is indented corners rectangle.

I owe Ryan an email back, I'll ask him to check this thread out...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry all. I've been super anti forum lately, thanks some top quality rudeness on my part....at least that's how the story goes since Dale tells tells it.
These are two different spellings, same potter. The pot is Syuho, or Shuho. Less than 30 years old because before that he used seal, but more than 15 because after that he tends to use glaze painted signatures. For clarification, the name of his kiln is "Yoshimura Syuho", while his name is Katoaka Yoshimura. All of these get mixed and matched but they refer to the same person.
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It's Tokoname, by Shuho...., and I absolutely love the glaze.

Yes very nice, good choice. Oribe refers to a green glaze that contains copper. It's origin is also in Japan's Mino Province, and was associated with Futura Oribe (1544-1615), a leading tea master and warrior of his time.

This glaze will turn red/pink if starved for air in the firing (called reduction). Imagine opening the kiln and expecting green and you have a bunch of red...that must have been cool

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You are a very valuable member here, dont let anything keep you away. For those of us who live and breathe pots, you are a rock star

Keep it up

Plus one on this. We need knowledgeable people like you here. And it's not all abut the pots, you've prob. Seen more good trees than most of us put together.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Ryan why is it that Koyo seems to be the only one that I have seen that can pull of the speckling properly? Everyone else seems to look like polka dots or splatters. This pot included has what I am talking about(no offense Dave) I'll say it again it's an awesome pot!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ryan why is it that Koyo seems to be the only one that I have seen that can pull of the speckling properly? Everyone else seems to look like polka dots or splatters. This pot included has what I am talking about(no offense Dave) I'll say it again it's an awesome pot!

Good question! Funny, I really dig the glazes on Koyo pots, and wanted to find one that had enough flecking that it was identifiable, but subtle enough that its not over the top. The fleck seems to be quartz or some crystal that melts just enough to create a stain trapped under VERY thick glaze. Always wondered how it was done. Maybe part of it is the thickness of the glaze...?
Chop on this pot is the one on the right.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
That one is awesome! Just perfect amount of speckling. The ones like the one you just pictured seem to be double the price of the koyos with more speckling. I wonder if they are earlier generation Koyo? Brian what you said about crystals that melt make sense whereas syuho and others appear to literally speckle paint on top of the colored glaze

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have this shohin Yoshimura pot for a trident. This pot is carved from a solid block of clay. It is glazed inside and out, underneath and the glaze is left off just enough for his Hanko.

Attachments

• DSC_00790001.JPG
    DSC_00790001.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 968
  • DSC_00810002.JPG
    DSC_00810002.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 891
  • DSC_00840003.JPG
    DSC_00840003.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 862

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The glaze on some of the older Yamafusa have some pretty cool speckling on them also.

This is a larger pot, oval about 12 inches long.

The smaller rectangle is also Yamafusa only in Shohin.

Attachments

• DSC_00860004.JPG
    DSC_00860004.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 841
  • DSC_00520013.JPG
    DSC_00520013.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 966

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have this shohin Yoshimura pot for a trident. This pot is carved from a solid block of clay. It is glazed inside and out, underneath and the glaze is left off just enough for his Hanko.

I hated glazed pots until I saw this one.

Top Bottom