One of my favorite pots

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice! So this is by Katoaka Akitsugu? Has a very Chinese feel to it.
I always like it when this thread pops back up; kinda like pottery version of "the tree thread."
My research says Katoaka Akiji...probably one and the same. The pot reminds me of some of the antique Chinese pots I've held, with a heavy, dark clay body and built like a tank, but also with beautiful, sharp lines. It's a fair bit heavier then it looks. I like it a lot;).

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
When I bought my old Yamaaki a couple years ago, Ryan sent some info. Thought you'd be interested to see:

It's first generation Yamaaki, Katoaka Akitsugu, his rarest stamp, the rarest Yamaaki chop period actually. Retail is very high; haven't actually seen any for sale retail from Japan, but know a couple of guys who have bought ones with this stamp from Japanese pros, they were $500-850.

My research has turned up some additional info on the first generation Yamaaki.
Yamaaki1 = 1928-1966(making your pot between 47 and 85 years old)
Yamaaki2 (Koshosen)= 1966-1985
Yamaaki3 = 1985-2012

{First photo, top pot is Yamaaki1}: I've seen probably 10-12 pots, though I only own 1. The unglazed pieces are very classic, imitations of antique Chinese pots, in the unique reddish brown clay local to Tokoname(he made pots when it was still there!). Very high quality handmades, look burnished.

Second photo is my Yamaaki1, with chop inset.

You may have already read these links:
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/2011/07/16/from-my-collection-3-2/
http://bonsaipot.blogspot.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 200

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Brian. I was under the impression that Kinka was pre- yamaaki, even first generation yamaaki. Anyway, it took me a while but I found the stamp in Ryan's database- he has it labeled as 'Tokoname-Taisho Era-Kinka(pre-Yamaaki Akitsugu). I guess Akiji is Akitsuga's father? It's a bit confusing to say the least.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Would be cool to know; see what Ryan says when you talk to him next.
Doubt there's an Ancestory.com entry for the Yamaaki lineage!:p

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, Akiji and Akitsuga are one and the same person, so you were right, Brian. Katoaka Akitsuga produced Kinka pots for several years, then founded the Yamaaki kiln in 1928...the rest is history.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I seem to gravitate towards the Yamaaki pots, they are such clean lines.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice lines and patina Dave. Looks like just the right size for a cat to nap in...:eek:

Jase

Seedling
Reaction score
Interesting thread! I'm starting to develop a fascination for bonsai pottery after a recent trip to Japan and Tokoname. I thought I'd add to this thread with a couple of my pots.

A Koyo oribe:

DSC00108.JPG

Koyo Juko commented to me when I purchased this one that it is very hard to get this glaze right, it is very dependant on the positioning in the kiln. The speckles are actually crystals that grow in the glaze when the kiln is cooling.

Here is a large Yamaaki:

DSC00122.JPG

DSC00124_v1.JPG

This was new/old stock from the Yamaaki kiln - the current owner of the kiln told me it was made by his father over 50 yrs ago. I don't currently have a decent photo of the chop and signature but will try remember to take one and post it up - someone may be able to tell me a bit more. I apologise for the grubby state of the pot, its basically as I found it in the warehouse! As everyone may be aware, Yamaaki is no longer making pots but there were still some old stock available in the warehouse.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Dave, good move. Cats are evil!

Jase, welcome. I like Juko's work. Just enough bolder than Aiba that it's clearly his, yet still a familiar feel.
Here's an Aiba Koyo I hope to plant one day...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 163

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You guys are good! I have a few nice pots, but it's all I can do to remember if its Japanese or Chinese!

If Boon or Daisaku say its good, I go with that.

Well, I'll add Owinga to that list, lol!

I just bought a new old pot for the JBP. It's gray, like the current "everyday" pot. I found it at Boon's. Still had Daisaku's tag on it. Evidently, it had been "lost" until I stumbled across it. Not Kokufu quality, but close.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kokufu quality...
Round Tofukuji, rectangle Ino Shukuho.

Any idea the age on the Ino? looks to have nice patina. I have one similar but yours looks to have more age to it. He's in his 70's now right, so I can't imagine he will be making pots much longer. And that blue koyo is something special as well, wow.

Such a great thread with so many great pots. I will never get tired of looking at the glazed and painted pots of the top japanese potters. Maybe it's my limited exposure but it seems that most I see are for shohin. Great for my shelf, but not as usable for me. Not like i have anything worthy for them anyhow!

Top Bottom