One of my favorite pots

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Jelly beans would be a "no go" in my house...my kids are more clumsy then me. Fwiw, I don't have any trees specifically for these pots (I have a problem, I know:eek:), but I AM potentially going to develop an Ume and a shimpaku to fit in each pot, respectively.

I have too many trees in need of good pots to give one over to jelly beans... Now maybe some nice dark chocolate!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ahhh...congrats! That one's been tempting me for a year, but just couldn't quite pull the trigger...too sharp somehow vs. organic, but beautiful glaze. Also passed on a killer shallow round oribe Ino last night about the same size as yours. Something must be wrong...
Good pickup; glad you got it. Hope to see it in person sometime.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I understand your reluctance. I don't have a tree that would look good in this pot, and I'm not sure I ever will. Still, it's a beauty in it's own right and is collectable by nuts like us. It can sit on a display shelf for the next 20 years and I'd be okay with it.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
very nice one, love the colour and shape, you need a decent bonsai for this it will loose against the pot.
but like you say,even if not beeing used, its nice as display

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I understand your reluctance. I don't have a tree that would look good in this pot, and I'm not sure I ever will. Still, it's a beauty in it's own right and is collectable by nuts like us. It can sit on a display shelf for the next 20 years and I'd be okay with it.
Agree 100%...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I keep coming back and looking at this. Really nice! I just snagged a glazed koyo but had my eye on a green ino last week. couldnt pull the trigger but I Should have!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I keep coming back and looking at this. Really nice! I just snagged a glazed koyo but had my eye on a green ino last week. couldnt pull the trigger but I Should have!
Nice pots are like potato chips.... Just a bit more expensive! I've got a few Koyo pots now, and now this Shuhuko (Ino)...quality pots!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im not in too deep yet in the pot addiction but I can see what you mean about them being like potato chips, at least they can't die!. I keep telling myself I'm not going to buy more trees this year so it's ok to add a few pots. We will see if that sticks. Here's the koyo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 57

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Im not in too deep yet in the pot addiction but I can see what you mean about them being like potato chips, at least they can't die!. I keep telling myself I'm not going to buy more trees this year so it's ok to add a few pots. We will see if that sticks. Here's the koyo.
Nice pot! You're right about pots not dying (though I did lose a very nice Bigei to an inquisitive cat once:mad:). The very good ones are beautiful works of art in their own right, and those with real age to them are truly special. At this point, I don't have any more space (or time) for more trees...but there's always room for more pots:cool:.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
For what it is, I think that pot is priced on the high side Max...paying for the patina here, not the potter.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
For what it is, I think that pot is priced on the high side Max...paying for the patina here, not the potter.
my thoughts exactly. I know some people that do that sort of pottery, we call it cerámica gres (don't look at the figures, but what can be made... they look very similar) Probably cost me like 20 bucks... and I can choose color and aprove the design before putting it in the oven.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You've really picked up some nice pots! And this surely is another beauty, any plans for it? Does the bottom curve up on the inside? I love how the feet aren't at the furthest edge of the pot so it shows off how it sits up just slightly.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It seems that many of the ovals from this period have bottoms that curve up. This one is no different, and I assume it assists with drainage. No immediate plans for this one though a maple or flowering bonsai will hopefully end up in this one eventually.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, I've been on a tear lately as far as accumulating nice pots. The pot that I started this thread with doesn't make the cut anymore and was relegated to the garage storage shelf over a month ago...Matt is such an enabler;). The pot that took it's place is an awesome bag style "kinka" pot. Kinka is the name of the kiln that eventually became yamaaki...so this pot was made either in or before 1926.
pot.jpg pot2.jpg pot3.jpg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another nice one dave! looks in great shape too for something of that age. Any plans for it? if not, what type of tree and style would you want to see in it?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's going to sit on the shelf for at least a few years, but eventually it will be paired with a nice pine or juniper styled as an informal upright, most likely. Due to the age and relative rareness, this one will be only used for show purposes.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice! So this is by Katoaka Akitsugu? Has a very Chinese feel to it.
I always like it when this thread pops back up; kinda like pottery version of "the tree thread."

Top Bottom