One of my favorite pots

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Paul,
Thanks for the science info on the pottery side of this. I've done quite a bit of research into this as well, but my knowledge base is still quite weak in comparison. I knew these were crystalline structures, what's amazing to me is the variability, I guess from different cooling rates, minerals, Ect. What's awesome to know about the Tofukuji pots that feature this glaze, is that they were all fired in either a friends kiln, or the local public kiln. No control over placement or cool rates...
Ryan

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Another new old pickup. Nakawatari/Middle Crossing Chinese. Matt O is the man!

Attachments

• IMG_7071.jpg
    IMG_7071.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_7072.jpg
    IMG_7072.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_7073.jpg
    IMG_7073.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 216

Great Falcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess thats how I buy pots, those are very nice pots you got, this year "thanks to my wife" I was able to buy some pots, I went today also several hours from home, and got some japanese pots some just because I like them I'll get a tree for them eventually. this are Chinese but I like them

Attachments

• DSC_0295.jpg
    DSC_0295.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0286.jpg
    DSC_0286.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_0297.jpg
    DSC_0297.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 203

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave the glaze is eye catching on that first one with the running blue with white speckles. I never see anything like that but have always looked for one. I usually find nice drip glazes similar but in greens and reds that are not really something you could picture any tree in. That one I could see my Pink Pixie Bougie in full flower in.

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice, I really like the subtlety of that pot.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A few more, courtesy of Michael Ryan Bell:).
First, a nice yellow glazed shohin from Aiba Koyo. The second is an older Chinese shohin pot, approx. 50 yrs old.

Attachments

• DSC_0089.jpg
    DSC_0089.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0090.jpg
    DSC_0090.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_0092.jpg
    DSC_0092.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0091.jpg
    DSC_0091.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 179

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A few more, courtesy of Michael Ryan Bell:).
First, a nice yellow glazed shohin from Aiba Koyo. The second is an older Chinese shohin pot, approx. 50 yrs old.
Nice! I love yellow pots. Looking forward to Ryan's visit here next month, though my accountant is not!

Here is a recent addition I blame Ryan for; red Sharaku.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 198

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am glad this thread popped up again these are some gorgeous pots and a pleasure to see again. I would love to own some of them but I would have to install a security system or get a pit bull with aids to watch over them, it would kill me to lose something that nice and obviously expensive. I just had a few more plants walk away this winter, its getting to be a real pain in the ass. Now whenever someone comments on my Bonsai I think to myself is this bastard coming back to take this when I am gone ... I hate to be that way but I have had very few years that I have not lost at least one to theft or perhaps its just a black hole or a disturbance in the space time continuum .

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have always loved the voluptuous curves of the lotus type pots, and these new posted ones are just wonderful. I love yellow pots, and that red one - jeez.
But I always think, what would I put in it?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have always loved the voluptuous curves of the lotus type pots, and these new posted ones are just wonderful. I love yellow pots, and that red one - jeez.
But I always think, what would I put in it?

Jelly Beans!
(or a shohin dwarf gardenia)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Jelly Beans!
(or a shohin dwarf gardenia)

Jelly beans would be a "no go" in my house...my kids are more clumsy then me. Fwiw, I don't have any trees specifically for these pots (I have a problem, I know:eek:), but I AM potentially going to develop an Ume and a shimpaku to fit in each pot, respectively.

Top Bottom