One of my favorite pots

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I looked at both of these for a good bit trying to figure out why I am liking not one but two glazed pots! To me the answer is they both have an "elegant" look, and are not overstated. Nice! ;)

Grimmy
Grimmy if your not careful...you may find a few selective glazed pieces landing on your bench. Will the ever come??? Time will tell.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So this happened.

img-3118d_orig.jpg

@Cadillactaste said I would tag you. It's 4.8 inches at the widest which is the base of the feet.
Not everyones cuppa I know but I think it is a special little pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So this happened.

img-3118d_orig.jpg

@Cadillactaste said I would tag you. It's 4.8 inches at the widest which is the base of the feet.

OH MY! That thing has a manly bark going on...what tree was you wishing to put in it? Will go look at your contest trees...curious...it is a unique piece for sure. I can see why you like it. That is such a smidgeon over the rules. Dang...

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well I would of tried to buy with or without a tree and if I'm honest I don't think it would fit well with the contest trees anyway which are a couple of Bougies and a Coprosma.
I can see a beefy winter image in this and I only have a couple of deciduous and they are far from beefy. Sometimes with these type of pots I can easily see something with flowers, you know that whole life vs death contrast but for some reason I don't see that with this pot.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I see that, I think in person the pot almost demands it. I have a couple other skull themed pots and whilst you could say a gnarly spooky tree would fit them this one actually really wants it. I would be happy with t as a shelf pot but really I think I will actively search for something for it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I see that, I think in person the pot almost demands it. I have a couple other skull themed pots and whilst you could say a gnarly spooky tree would fit them this one actually really wants it. I would be happy with t as a shelf pot but really I think I will actively search for something for it.
I think you owe it to the pot...to find that pairing. It will be a show stopper composition for sure.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Like a beat to crap literati juniper.
I have a tree for a pot like this.

That totally gives me and idea, neither Juniper or literati but there is a local tree that could work called Tetraclinis, it always looks as if it is struggling. I dug one and it died but I can load up on seeds and if I'm lucky even find a small one to dig.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So this happened.

img-3118d_orig.jpg

I really like this!!! Nice!!!!!

If you don't mind...I could see something like this in it (image is from bonsaibark):

mikunien2.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think you owe it to the pot...to find that pairing. It will be a show stopper composition for sure.

You are right but it has to be done well and I am starting to appreciate that aspect more and oddly my love of pots is pushing me towards better bonsai, It's still daunting though and whether I can pull it off remains to be seen. I will give it a go as best I can.

I really like this!!! Nice!!!!!

If you don't mind...I could see something like this in it (image is from bonsaibark):

mikunien2.jpg

I don't mind at all. :)

I can see how that would fit, actually looking at some stuff on line in a similar vein an Olive or even Cork Oak can be styled similarly and they grow like weeds here. Options.

Even an old man Olive would work, carve a skull in the trunk. Oooh.
It'll be tough squishing something in the pot though, Small shohin really.

edit> Got to say I love the comments made, where I had one idea an hour ago I have now been given other ideas to think of which made me think of other further ideas which didn't come to mind at first. Thanks, I'd like all of your posts twice if I could.
Bnut gold. :D

Last edited:

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Just a heads up for anyone who may be interested, Laos Garden have a 3 for 2 sale on for the month of July and have a load of new pots in. Could snap up a bargain free pot with the right order.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grimmy if your not careful...you may find a few selective glazed pieces landing on your bench. Will the ever come??? Time will tell.

LOL, Crystal gets any that I receive if they are glazed, just not my gig ;) She also hijacks some of my unglazed as I am not using any right now. Most likely I will get her new fancy one's down the road to get mine back :p

Grimmy

Top Bottom