One of my favorite pots

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ah yes, olives too! Do watch out the plant doesn't crack the pots, cracked pots is really fucked up...

That is why I think a ficus in such a small pot may not be the greatest of ideas. Don't get me wrong I would gladly try it out on a generic pot but not one that is unique.
I chipped one of my pots once and it is a horrible feeling but superglue helps. Plus I am more likely to use it now instead of displaying it.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The facebook auctions are a great place to see what people are making and you don't have to go anywhere! That is where I was introduced to Sam's work, and folks like John Cannon, Sony Bogs, and Ken To, among others are selling awesome stuff there for very fair prices in my opinion.
I'm not familiar with the auctions specific to bonsai pots.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the auctions specific to bonsai pots.
Search facebook for "99 cent bonsai" and "bonsai auctions." The 99 cent auction is for anything with an estimated value of $75 and less, the bonsai auction site is for estimated values of $75 and up. You will find trees in all stages of development, pots, tools, anything you could be looking for. Just remember that in most cases the shipping is on the buyer, so you want to factor that into what you are willing to spend on an item. They are closed groups, so you have to request to be added, but this makes it so if any buyers or sellers don't play by the rules they can be removed from the group. It makes it very easy to trust the people you are buying from. So far I have had nothing but good experiences here and have made some great connections with people in this community.

Reaction score
That is why I think a ficus in such a small pot may not be the greatest of ideas. Don't get me wrong I would gladly try it out on a generic pot but not one that is unique.
I chipped one of my pots once and it is a horrible feeling but superglue helps. Plus I am more likely to use it now instead of displaying it.

Yeah it's horrible. Better try the pot friendly species first indeed. Was the chip on the nicest side? What helps for me is to turn it to the back :)

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Search facebook for "99 cent bonsai" and "bonsai auctions." The 99 cent auction is for anything with an estimated value of $75 and less, the bonsai auction site is for estimated values of $75 and up. You will find trees in all stages of development, pots, tools, anything you could be looking for. Just remember that in most cases the shipping is on the buyer, so you want to factor that into what you are willing to spend on an item. They are closed groups, so you have to request to be added, but this makes it so if any buyers or sellers don't play by the rules they can be removed from the group. It makes it very easy to trust the people you are buying from. So far I have had nothing but good experiences here and have made some great connections with people in this community.
I've sold about 20 pots... and tools...and magazines/books. Never a problem. Shipping is mostly flat rate box so not expensive. There's also a page just for pots. Bonsai pot auctions.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah it's horrible. Better try the pot friendly species first indeed. Was the chip on the nicest side? What helps for me is to turn it to the back :)

Thankfully no it was on the back. :D

A couple of new pots, the one on the left is an old Tosui pot. I got it potentially for the mame contest. The blue one on the right is an unknown freebie that came with my order and there is no chop on it so a mystery pot.

IMG_2988.JPG

Reaction score
Ha good! Sweet new pots too! Where did you get em? And is the blue one handmade? How do you know?

I hate mystery pots, for some reason I really love to categorise all. Mystery pots ruin that BIG TIME! :mad:

Btw, are those marble slabs on the table? Marble is awesome, looks good with a bunch of tree species too. And have you found something to put in your Thor pieces yet?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ye gads that pic is not great, think I spent too much time in the sun yesterday.

They were from Laosgarden, gotta say thank you for putting me on to them. Best service I have had in Spain to date. I ordered a tree and the Tosui pot and within 24 hours they were here. I was expecting it to be at least the end of the week. Brilliant service, may even do a thumbs up in the vendor section.

No idea if the blue one is handmade, I suspect it isn't but I can't really say. A lot of the generic pots on their site aren't listed with a maker but it is still a nice little pot. Will get a better photo of it today but yeah I do like to have some order to my pots.

The slabs are slate tiles for a retaining wall, we will eventually get around to putting them on but they make a nice background. So far only one tree is destined, others I had in mind haven't worked out but I'm in no hurry.

Here is a slightly better pic of the Tosui, no idea how old it is or the history of it. If anyone has more info on the maker that would be cool.

IMG_2985g.JPG IMG_2987s.JPG

Reaction score
Wow that is quick. PostNL does most of the stuff in 24 hours too, but Spain is reaaaallly big. Are you far away from Madrid?

No idea about Tosui and background stuff, but I do know it would be cool to see that retaining wall.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah I'm amazed, it was via GLS couriers who generally are a bit rubbish here but the guy actually had a kettle my wife ordered as well so he managed to get to us after a phone call, when he brought the big box out I had no idea what it was as surely it couldn't of been my order already.
Good news is I get to choose another pot for the azalea, don't think any of mine are as deep as I would like for it. Wonder how much a commission pot may set me back.:oops:

It's over 400 km away so that makes it even more impressive.
The retaining wall has caused us nothing but problems, as soon as we moved in the existing tiles started just falling off but in fairness they were a horrid style to begin with. Plus the land registry remapped our house via drone and instead of using the fence as our boundary they used the retaining wall, so officially we have nearly 100sqm less on our land which makes our house unsellable and we have to pay to have it fixed.
Still it needs to be there as support so we may as well do it up to look nicer.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm amazed, it was via GLS couriers who generally are a bit rubbish here but the guy actually had a kettle my wife ordered as well so he managed to get to us after a phone call, when he brought the big box out I had no idea what it was as surely it couldn't of been my order already.
Good news is I get to choose another pot for the azalea, don't think any of mine are as deep as I would like for it. Wonder how much a commission pot may set me back.:oops:

It's over 400 km away so that makes it even more impressive.
The retaining wall has caused us nothing but problems, as soon as we moved in the existing tiles started just falling off but in fairness they were a horrid style to begin with. Plus the land registry remapped our house via drone and instead of using the fence as our boundary they used the retaining wall, so officially we have nearly 100sqm less on our land which makes our house unsellable and we have to pay to have it fixed.
Still it needs to be there as support so we may as well do it up to look nicer.

A commissioned pot would probably set you back quite a bit, depending of who makes it. Sorry to hear about your trouble with the land registry... Can't you bill them for what they charge? Since they screwed up, you know.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A commissioned pot would probably set you back quite a bit, depending of who makes it. Sorry to hear about your trouble with the land registry... Can't you bill them for what they charge? Since they screwed up, you know.

Yeah cost would be a thing, no idea how much it may set me back but I could throw a couple of hundred euro at it. That said I could just as easy be happy with one I find already made. Got a year to think about it so no rush.
I'm liking some of the Terre o Verte pots so maybe I'll find one there.

As for the land registry, well this is Spain and as I am so often told "we do things differently here". We even asked a lawyer and no dice, fact is the place is still tarnished by Franco's influence and nobody challenges anything because of it.
I'm livid about it, pretty sure I could take it to the EU courts but we have to live here and that would be more trouble than it's worth, plus the wife told me to forget it so overruled. :D

Reaction score
Yeah cost would be a thing, no idea how much it may set me back but I could throw a couple of hundred euro at it. That said I could just as easy be happy with one I find already made. Got a year to think about it so no rush.
I'm liking some of the Terre o Verte pots so maybe I'll find one there.

As for the land registry, well this is Spain and as I am so often told "we do things differently here". We even asked a lawyer and no dice, fact is the place is still tarnished by Franco's influence and nobody challenges anything because of it.
I'm livid about it, pretty sure I could take it to the EU courts but we have to live here and that would be more trouble than it's worth, plus the wife told me to forget it so overruled. :D

Yeah when the wife says no you better no! Spain sounds like a fun place to live!
Philippe makes nice pots indeed, but sometimes I think them a little too funky if you know what I mean. He certainly has some nice pieces tho, some drool worthy too.
If you can throw a few hundreds at it maybe you should look into UK pots too, like Dan Barton and the 'old' potters. I'm sure there will be a ton of cool pots at the upcoming Bonsai Europa show. I'm saving up already, that is :)

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah, and she is a lawyer too so I know my place. :D At least the weather is nice 6 months a year and they have KFC here too, both of which I missed when living in Belgium so it is not all that bad.

I can see why some may not go for Philippe's work but I really like something eccentric as it is so it suits me. I nearly brought 2 bright red ones for the 'Red pot Challenge' but the website wouldn't let me order, I guess you have to contact him for international delivery or something. Going to go browse his site now I think, I'm done adulting for the day.:p

I figure the tree is too nice to not use a decent pot, certainly the only tree of mine that deserves one anyway so I will research away and see what I come up with. I do like Dan Bartons work, too many potters to choose from.
I think the only way I would get to a show is if they have one in Alicante.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Had my eye on this Satomi Terahata ever since I first saw it, colours like this will always appeal to me. Need better light for the chop pic.

Alex was kind enough to gift a charming little Esther Griffiths - WSC accent pot.

I'd like to say that is my lot for at least 6 months but I have a feeling Thor will be releasing another edition soonly. :D

Last edited:

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Had my eye on this Satomi Terahata ever since I first saw it, colours like this will always appeal to me. Need better light for the chop pic.

Alex was kind enough to gift a charming little Esther Griffiths - WSC accent pot.

I'd like to say that is my lot for at least 6 months but I have a feeling Thor will be releasing another edition soonly. :D

That Terahata is gorgeous!!!! The depth of color in the glaze and the contrast. I know you won't.... but if you ever "have" to get rid of it consider it sold LOL damn !!! :p:p

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That Terahata is gorgeous!!!! The depth of color in the glaze and the contrast. I know you won't.... but if you ever "have" to get rid of it consider it sold LOL damn !!!

It is quite like looking into a black mirror, sometimes it looks jet black through to deep browns and reds with hints of gold and crackle. The dripping reddish, gold has hints of yellow, green, blue and believe it or not silver. The light wasn't great when I took the photos but I think I will take more. :D
I honestly can't believe nobody snapped this up because it had been there a while.

I got it sitting out with me in sun on the back patio just admiring it. :D

I have even had an idea for a tree for it right from the get go but I'm kind of loathed to put one in it. Still shouldn't be a problem for now as said tree needs to exist in my yard first. :p

I know you won't.... but if you ever "have" to get rid of it consider it sold LOL damn !!!

Hah! Well you never know your luck, the life of a nomad and all that but yeah I will try and keep all my pots with me if I can.

Top Bottom