NZ Puriri tree as bonsai

WeeTree58

Seedling
Reaction score
I just stumbled on the info going back to 2021 and wondered if anyone has any experience with NZ Puriri as bonsai.
I have not long bought one and it seems to have long internodes and are thinking it may not be that suitable for bonsai.
I have 3 or 4 other NZ natives which are doing well but didnt want to invest time and effort into this tree if its going to be too hard.
Would apprecciate it greatly if anyone has any imput.
Cheers
Glenn
email - glennfionamcfadgen@gmail.com

It has been two days since you posted, with no responses. So I will offer my thoughts.

I have no "in real world" experience with this species, all I know is from reading Wikipedia. According to Wikipedia it has lovely flowers, which may be reason enough to grow it as a patio tree, or an ornamental. The Wikipedia description says "palmate leaves" , and photos show large looking leaves. Large leaves, and as you have mentioned, long internodes are traits that suggest this species will not be a good candidate for bonsai.

It does sound like an attractive plant, you should grow it as a garden ornamental. Other members of the genus Vitex with small leaves have been used for flowering bonsai.

You can always try leaf reduction techniques, like mid growing season total defoliation, perhaps that will bring down leaf size. Experiment.

I have got a Coprosma Robusta that has quite big leaves thats been growing wild in a bucket.
Early days
IMG_20230914_121704.jpgIMG_20230914_105532.jpgIMG_20240429_105856.jpg

Back
Top Bottom