Nursery Stock Juniper

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is my first tree posting. I am fairly new to Bonsai (just started last year). My grandmother was an avid Gardner’s from Kyoto Japan. Somehow she was able to grow anything in the Las Vegas heat — she was truly incredible and her passing last year has pushed me to try Bonsai once again. I have some smaller pre-bonsai but I was able to find this one down in the Outer Banks a couple weeks ago. The owner of the nursery was unsure of what type of juniper it is but I knew it was worth the thirty dollar price tag when I saw the trunk. I did some clean up of some dead branches and downward growing growth. I think it doesn’t look too bad. Thoughts?

Posting now from eastern North Carolina.IMG_2718.jpegIMG_2720.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah nice find and good start. Great potential. Looking forward to seeing your progression with it.

Great find! I would have jumped on that for $30 also. Clean up looks good.

Its a good time to wire as well so if you feel comfortable wiring, Id try bringing branches down towards the trunk on the left side.

I agree that it has some great trunks.
It is always hard to judge a tree from a 2D photo because I can't see movement forward or back.
My concern at the moment is that it is growing in 2 different directions. The winding left side trunks compete for attention with the main trunk growing to the right. I would consider shortening the right side. Maybe even reducing the tree to the first 2 branches on the left but that's pretty extreme.

Back
Top Bottom