Nothing teaches you quicker than

LoL! Just ask an eight year old child what they think of your tree. Oh boy! It's unbridled imagination. A mind untainted by prejudice or presumption. Solid gold.

Failure. If failure doesn't teach you anything, then you continue to fail.
I was just talking to someone yesterday about how I only learn the hardest most destructive way possible. As far as bonsai, for me it means killing a bunch of stuff. RIP

A fawkin' speeding ticket from being in a rush after digging up a tree! I have known that speed trap for years. Just plumb forgot about it while in a rush. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Back to the question: Immediate substantial loss after a stupid act.

A dead tree is not a bonsai.
So killing a bunch of trees does not teach you bonsai. It only teaches you how not to do it.

Challenge yourself to NOT kill trees, think before you do, ask before you act and be patient.

Can we please have no more of these silly beginnersdiscussions threads.
Oh, come on buddy.
If it weren’t for threads like these, we’d miss out on some golden stories shared by fellow nuts like @Cajunrider.

However, I do grow tired of threads that seem to be fishing lines out for likes or responses.
I feel you, but not really a big deal.

I only learn from killing trees if I have some idea what killed them. Sometimes, trees die and I have no clue what the issue was

Where is the threshold between failure and insanity? 🧐
Failure = undesired outcome after attempting something that you have no knowledge or know that there is some uncertainty.
Insanity = undesired outcome after attempting something you know with high probability that it will fail yet you do it anyway.

The threshold is knowledge of the probability of failure.

A dead tree is not a bonsai.
So killing a bunch of trees does not teach you bonsai. It only teaches you how not to do it.
This is something that has always confused me about bonsai people. I know it’s partly a joke, but people are constantly talking about how many trees they’ve killed. I’ve only been doing this about 2 years, and among the 40 or so trees that I have had at one point, only two have died. One never woke up from a repot, and another was a seedling that didn’t make it through winter. Maybe I’m just fortunate that I was able to skip over the phase of trying to make junk soils work.

Far more trees are killed through neglect than overconfidence.

I know it’s partly a joke, but people are constantly talking about how many trees they’ve killed.
Same here. I hate it when I see a tree declining. It still happens to me that I kill a tree, but it certainly is not something to be proud of. Then again, I do not want to treat plants as throw-away objects. And the internet is full of good advice how to approach pretty much every step of creating bonsai that there really is no need to go "experiment". guess it is a societal thing too, where people just do not want to accept there are people who know more than you do, and you can learn from their mistakes and avoid making them yourself

Oh, come on buddy.
If it weren’t for threads like these, we’d miss out on some golden stories shared by fellow nuts like @Cajunrider.

However, I do grow tired of threads that seem to be fishing lines out for likes or responses.
I feel you, but not really a big deal.
Over the last 2 years I have seen a steady decline in the level of posts on this platform though. I would really hate it if this becomes another facebook beginners group focussing on meme and off-hand remarks. I see a lot of the more knowledgable members are virtually absent now, which will only continue this way.

The nice thing on bonsainut was that the majority of the posts wes actually about growing bonsai, and not the steady flow of people killing seedlings because they have no clue what they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom