Not bad for five dollars

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice little juniper prebonsai material. Only five bucks at about a inch thick base. Pruned, potted and wired up. Not half shabby....seen these wired up in this condition for fifty bucks here ... For some reason theyre not popular but hey ......I like em.

Let me know what you think. Going to leave it to grow out and gain some vigor for the rest of the year.

Oh yeah literally five bucks....pot was permanently borrowed from mother in law and wire is recycled copper from electrical cables

Attachments

• 20180306_215328.jpg
    20180306_215328.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 222
  • 20180306_215617.jpg
    20180306_215617.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 229

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You have a very good eye for design but you need to work on your wiring skills so that those skills are as beautiful as your designs. Wiring does not improve without learning the basics and practicing those principals. That is the one big frustration in bonsai; the ability to imagine some really beautiful concept but not being able to make it happen.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Deadwood needs a little work, but otherwise a very nice tree for the price.

Vance is right though, the wiring is good, but needs some practice.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the advice....yeah wiring is not particularly good, I agree. The guy at the shop where I bought it would probably wack me on the head if he saw it. Thanks for the compliments too.

That jin and the one close to the base need some work....think the pot although a bit heavy for the tree goes well with the design I was looking for. Will have to see how it turns out.

Actually the shop owner is super kind and he has great material and prices are reasonable...been there 45 years...gramps knows what hes doing....bonsai and wine....better with time.

Went to a different shop yesterday....lady saw a foreigner and immediately increased the price ten fold.......so even happier for this find today!
Hopefuly it grows well and I can update in a few months

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll take 2 ;) Nice find!

https://www.craftsy.com/gardening/classes/bonsai-wiring-essentials/35341
I'm in the middle of watching this video again and again. It is a free add to cart order.
Nice to be able with the videos herein, to bookmark notes along the time line.

I like the pot. The heavier the better to me, within reason. Works against the wind some.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks to be....was it annealed?

View attachment 180592

Sorce
Sorce....you are seriously some kind of genius.....the hidden pattern has been discovered... abort plan...abort plan....lol

Not sure if it was annealed...it was inside old electrical cables so I got out the ole knoif and set to work.....you domt get much cheaper than free.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll take 2 ;) Nice find!

https://www.craftsy.com/gardening/classes/bonsai-wiring-essentials/35341
I'm in the middle of watching this video again and again. It is a free add to cart order.
Nice to be able with the videos herein, to bookmark notes along the time line.

I like the pot. The heavier the better to me, within reason. Works against the wind some.
Thanks for the link I have to check it out.....
I understand I need to practice....
I actually like that pot too......once it bulks out it should look much more balanced.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like the general lines of this tree, and for five dollars, you can't go wrong!

One thing that bothers me, however, is your jin. Not only does it block, instead of accentuate, the trunk, but it actually projects at almost a perfect 90 degrees from the main lines of the design. I would consider removing it. Something to think about... it doesn't have to happen any time soon :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce....you are seriously some kind of genius.....the hidden pattern has been discovered... abort plan...abort plan....lol

Not sure if it was annealed...it was inside old electrical cables so I got out the ole knoif and set to work.....you domt get much cheaper than free.

Anneal it on the stove! You'll love it after!

My New favorite potter!

Skip to about 27!

Mad! But sooo not mad!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too...

Without jokes! That whole right side is a little distracting.

I love the entire left portion and can see it alone. Very Sexy!

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the link I have to check it out.....
I understand I need to practice....
I actually like that pot too......once it bulks out it should look much more balanced.
I had originally asked in that post if the was annealed, but backed that out replacing with the link.
I knew if you watched the video there, that you would figure it out.
Takes the shine away, wire works easier, sets, and holds stronger after bending/working it.

I like the left side too, but would keep the right side. You can always address it later if need be.
Be careful not to pinch back the Y area Sorce drew over. Very weak, could lose it if all others
kept equally strong as it, shedding it. Let Y grow, no more wire nothing but food this year for Y.
Same for bottom left branch.

If it were mine, I would not remove any wire till strong either.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the general lines of this tree, and for five dollars, you can't go wrong!

One thing that bothers me, however, is your jin. Not only does it block, instead of accentuate, the trunk, but it actually projects at almost a perfect 90 degrees from the main lines of the design. I would consider removing it. Something to think about... it doesn't have to happen any time soon :)
Yes I was thinking the same thing....reckon I could get to that later after some planning....some branches will still be moved so waiting a bit

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I appreciate the feedback guys. Frankly i like the right side though it DOES need work....its been pot slipped and wired this year so I think it is at the limit of what it can handle......this year I am going to follow the theme song of Frozen and Let it grow, Let it grow....can fertilise it some more....Pretty sure those are the lyrics.
The other issue is that it is quite 2D at the moment but needs more mass before I can address that so for now just happy if it survives.

Top Bottom