Not another soil thread

jdutton24

Seedling
Reaction score
Im new to bonsai. Just purchased a kishu juniper and corkbark elm. I have read and watched i dont know how many video and articles on soil. Lets just say I need a little guidance where to start. I live in central Alabama. roughly zone 8A/7B depending on map. I need some soil with a little moisture retention since summers are extremely humid and very hot. I watched several videos of a guy in the UK named Peter Chan. He uses Orchid bark Akadama pumice and sphagnum peat moss. I'm really thinking this might be the best to start with at least for my climate. I know some people use Pine bark which I can get easily but ive read that pine bark actually leeches nutrients from the soil as it breaks down. Is this true? Most nurseries locally use pine bark and perlite with little bit of moss. I assume mainly its cheap and works well enough. Ive looked at pre made bonsai soils and most say calcined clay not akadama. I know they are similar but im not sure calcined clay is as good as akadama. I fully expect to mess up and probably lose the trees but ive had good success with around 20 japanese maples which is kind of how I find myself in the predicament! please lend me your wisdom and guidance!

Many soils work. There is no secret formula. If I had to use pine bark and perlite, I would do so happily. Maybe add a good dollop of diatomaceous earth (Napa #8822). Ask what fellow bonsai enthusiasts use in your area. Joining the local club is always a good idea.

Loca club is about an hour away and from what I can see not super active unfortunately

All depends on how much you spend on a tree, a pot, and how many different frac groups in fungicide you are willing to pay for, that will determine the price of your chosen substrate.
Cheapo tip of the day - lump charcoal, buy a big bag, run it over with truck several times and sift.
Alabama may require special Maine lobster chitin though.

If you are putting a tree in a bonsai pot (a small pot) then you want to use the best soil so it’s as efficient as possible in the small space. That mix is usually a mix of Akadama, pumice, and Lava but many skip the lava. If you are growing out material in bigger pots I use a mix of 70% perlite 30% coco coir. With perlite you will also want to have a top dressing of sphagnum moss so the lite perlite doesn’t move.

Alabama may require special Maine lobster chitin though
Huh, TIL (and I live here)...

ugh... what!
I'm thinking the USDA should spend another 10 million to do a feasability study - the price per lb of lobster shell is already way above what farmers make on potatos, and the article states that half of shells go to landfill... why? More people would be willing if it was $2/lb but it is 5$/lb even in bulk size.

Could I add some spaghnum moss during summers since it is so hot? Just to give me a little security about watering as I work 12 hours shifts and sometimes get off late

In Alabama you have humid hot summers. Pumice and or perlite should be your main ingredient, at least 50% to 75% of your mix for junipers. The rest can be what you use for your Japanese maples. That mix should work well.

Myself have grown junipers in 100% pumice, repotting only once every 5 years, mainly to change pots, and have been happy with growth. Especially if you use organic fertilizer, cakes or liquids, a all pumice media works well for junipers and most pines, and spruces.

In general, perlite can be used as a substitute for pumice in large training pots and for young trees, technically perlite is a mined volcanic product on the "light end" of the pumice spectrum. Perlite is quarried, moistened with water, then flash heated to pop it like popcorn. Because perlite is so light, it is not used in small bonsai pots.

Im new to bonsai. Just purchased a kishu juniper and corkbark elm. I have read and watched i dont know how many video and articles on soil. Lets just say I need a little guidance where to start. I live in central Alabama. roughly zone 8A/7B depending on map. I need some soil with a little moisture retention since summers are extremely humid and very hot. I watched several videos of a guy in the UK named Peter Chan. He uses Orchid bark Akadama pumice and sphagnum peat moss. I'm really thinking this might be the best to start with at least for my climate. I know some people use Pine bark which I can get easily but ive read that pine bark actually leeches nutrients from the soil as it breaks down. Is this true? Most nurseries locally use pine bark and perlite with little bit of moss. I assume mainly its cheap and works well enough. Ive looked at pre made bonsai soils and most say calcined clay not akadama. I know they are similar but im not sure calcined clay is as good as akadama. I fully expect to mess up and probably lose the trees but ive had good success with around 20 japanese maples which is kind of how I find myself in the predicament! please lend me your wisdom and guidance!

Well known member here @Brian Van Fleet
Is from Alabama and has some very nice trees, and has displayed them in national shows. He knows his stuff. I would follow his recommendations for what he uses

Back
Top Bottom