'Normal' growth trident from seed

RoadManDenDron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Hi guys!

I am very interested in seeing some trident from seed and some info regarding age (first couple months please) and care if you would be willing to humour me

I am very happy with my tridents from seed which began germinating in march but have never done these before to compare!

Just carried out root work today on everything,

Some were seedling cut, some had taproot removed (a month ago)

I have been using biostimulants weekly and the ones with no prior root work did not have a significant tap root like I was expecting

20240513_114217.jpg

Here are some of mine, around 2 months old,
20240513_122958.jpg
20240513_120014.jpg
20240513_115934.jpg
20240513_113155.jpg
20240513_114005.jpg

I'm impressed at the height some of them have reached in such a short time,

I've been growing them under lights with use of biostimulants for this time, one has now outgrown the tent by getting too close to the light!

and the ones with no prior root work did not have a significant tap root like I was expecting
Tap root seems to be a myth. Most plants rely much more on lateral surface roots as that's where most of the nutrients are. Deeper roots are only required to access moisture during dry periods. If your trees have never experienced dry they have no need to develop deep roots however I'd normally expect a few more deeper roots than the one in your picture except where the trees are growing in very wet conditions where deep roots do not develop.

Now start thinking about some of the ramifications of what you've noticed. Are tiles or boards really necessary to develop lateral roots?

Back
Top Bottom