Newer to Bonsai and have a few question, Zelkova

Porkchop

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
hi. I just recently got back into the hobby after years of not. I picked up yesterday a 27yr old zelkova elm and it's beautiful. It has been growing in greenhouse conditions. I currently have it outside where it will get a lot of daily sun and evening shade. Once it drops its leaves, can I put it in my garage? Just cover the pot with some mulch for additional insulation? How long do I have to keep it there before returning it to indoors? Thought of getting high plant lighting and using a timer for 14-16hrs a day. And keeping it misted and humid. Thoughts?

It is definitely a zelkova not a Chinese elm. I've researched the difference

Attachments

• IMG_1910.JPG
    IMG_1910.JPG
    449 KB · Views: 73

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Porkchop,

Welcome!
You need to attach to your avatar where you are from, so the members can offer advice.
Good Day
Anthony

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome!

I wouldn't hold your breath about that tree being that old unless you know for a fact. I don't know where you are, but that tree should never come inside. It's an outdoor tree and belongs outside year round.

Porkchop

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1900.JPG IMG_1901.JPG IMG_1902.JPG IMG_1903.JPG IMG_1904.JPG IMG_1915.JPG IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1897.JPG The seller here in Ohio has been growing trees since 1950. He has over 1000 trees. I can only take him at his word. Here are some pictures of his trees

Porkchop

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So there is no way to grow it indoors with proper lighting supplemented? So many conflicting sites and posts from users everywhere it's hard to make out what's right and what's not. I'm leaning towards outside and then garage in the fall after leaves have dropped. Do I need to insulate the tree at all? Our garage is uninsulated.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So there is no way to grow it indoors with proper lighting supplemented? So many conflicting sites and posts from users everywhere it's hard to make out what's right and what's not. I'm leaning towards outside and then garage in the fall after leaves have dropped. Do I need to insulate the tree at all? Our garage is uninsulated.
As long as your garage is unheated, you can keep it there during the winter. The rest of the year it needs to be outside.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Are there people that grow these indoors? Sure. Are they successful? Sorta. When a tree like this can grow outdoors year round in your area you might as well just grow it outdoors. There's really no reason to stress it by forcing it inside when it'll grow happily outside.

If you can create a sub tropical environment, more power to you. But it's not a ficus, it can grow outside all year.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like elm,here are zelkova leaves.I am working so pardon the haste.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 65

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Porkchop,

looks like a collection of trees imported from South China.
Hopefully you don't have the famous Zelkova [ that is a Chinese elm with a changed name to be allowed to be imported ]
Might be hardy to zone 8 or 9 if acclimated.

Standard response -------- take some cuttings and when rooted, do all of your tests on them, not the mother.
Two other things to mention, when you - HAVE to repot - the roots. can be used for cuttings and you will get new plants.
It helps to slowly open out your branching so it looks more like a tree and less like a hedge.

Apologies if you knew this already and I am accidentally insulting your intelligence.
Good Day
Anthony

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Hey Porkchop!

First, welcome to the site.

Second, there is a big difference between northern Ohio and southern Ohio in terms of climate.

Zelkovas are a type of elm and are sometimes even called Japanese elms (if they are the most common Zelkova serrata). They are deciduous trees that will drop their leaves in the Fall - even here in Southern California where we don't get freezing temps. I don't own a greenhouse so I can't comment about whether they will do well indoors under artificial lighting - i.e. trying to trick them into not going into a winter dormancy - but I am always a believer in allowing a tree to maintain its normal seasonal rhythm as much as possible. Zelkova serratas are found natively as far north as the Kuril Islands, so they can take a lot of cold and wet, though they are adaptable enough to be found as south as Taiwan.

I overwintered Chinese elms without any problem in an unheated garage in Chicago. The key is just to keep them from drying out.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am going with Cmeg. It looks like Chinese Elm to me.

Many nurseries mislabel them, and call them "Zelkova", when in fact they are actually Chinese Elm.

A close up photo would be helpful.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 146248 View attachment 146249 View attachment 146250 View attachment 146251 View attachment 146252 View attachment 146253 View attachment 146254 View attachment 146255 View attachment 146247 View attachment 146246 The seller here in Ohio has been growing trees since 1950. He has over 1000 trees. I can only take him at his word. Here are some pictures of his trees
Porkchop, that looks like North Dayton Garden Center....are you in Dayton? We'd love to have you come to our Dayton bonsai show next month to meet us!

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
we'd love to answer all your questions...that's one of the best reasons to join a club...to find out what to do for your climate zone!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am going with Cmeg. It looks like Chinese Elm to me.

I was driving myself nuts. I was looking at Cmeg's picture and thinking it was the OP's tree. I was like - what is Adair seeing? That looks completely like a zelkova to me :)

I agree with both of you the OP's tree looks like a Chinese elm :) Sorry I wrote a big white paper on the range of Zelkova serrata! LOL!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Not trying to be mean there but I wouldn't take lessons from them - there might be a few diamonds in the rough but most that stuff is very meh. The best thing you did if find this group and you can pick some things up and we can help you down the right and proper path :p

Also I would judge that tree around the 5-10 year range but you never know

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy Pork!

Sorce

Porkchop

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lol wow a lot of replies. I'll get a close up of the leaves here soon when I get home. These trees he's been growing for years and has some Chinese elm as well as the zelkova Japanese elm. I will be keeping it outside during the summer and keeping it in my unheared garage in the winter after the leaves change and fall

Top Bottom