Newbie on the Loose

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi folks... I became interested about Bonsai just over a year ago but I still have no hands-on training so I just rely on articles that are available on the internet. As a beginner I resisted the urge to purchase pricey pre-bonsai plants in the fear that I might just kill it and waste my money so I opted on saplings and rooted cuttings instead. I joined local Facebook Bonsai clubs and they have been very helpful but seminars and workshops in our area are very seldom so I am still practically "untrained" and have been working on my projects unsupervised... I came to realize that my lack of knowledge and training gave me the freedom to explore the art and experiment on my plants... The photos below are just few of what i am working on (saplings of course). Bougainvillea.jpgCalliandra 2.jpgCalliandra.jpgCamellia.jpgHibiscus.jpgSchefflera.jpg

I have just acquired few pre-bonsai materials because I think I'm now ready to step-up my bonsai journey... One of the photos shows a trophy along side a Calliandra specimen which I bravely entered into a competition which luckily unbelievably won a Bronze award under the Novice category...

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! I'm a newbie as well and probably been on the site for half a year or so and I feel I'm light years ahead of where I'd be if I never joined this community. I've learned so much here! Like you I don't have much more to rely on other then the internet, YouTube, books, and my hands. This place has been a HUGE help in my Journey. More so then any other Avenue of learning. Books second. Other than here I think books are superior to the internet in bonsai. I'm reading a super awesome book called the principles of bonsai design by David De root. I highly recommend it! Funny someone on here told me about it. It's definitely the best one I've read so far. I do really like Adam Lavignes blog,
"ask Adam why". I think he does a really good job of breaking things down for new people like us to understand and he explains why he does what he does and why he believes one method over another . I find myself wanting to use his techniques and principles as much as I can when possible. Well I hope this site is as good to you as it is to me good luck with your Bonsai Journey. Oh and nice start!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi folks... I became interested about Bonsai just over a year ago but I still have no hands-on training so I just rely on articles that are available on the internet. As a beginner I resisted the urge to purchase pricey pre-bonsai plants in the fear that I might just kill it and waste my money so I opted on saplings and rooted cuttings instead. I joined local Facebook Bonsai clubs and they have been very helpful but seminars and workshops in our area are very seldom so I am still practically "untrained" and have been working on my projects unsupervised... I came to realize that my lack of knowledge and training gave me the freedom to explore the art and experiment on my plants... The photos below are just few of what i am working on (saplings of course). View attachment 187768View attachment 187769View attachment 187770View attachment 187771View attachment 187772View attachment 187773

I have just acquired few pre-bonsai materials because I think I'm now ready to step-up my bonsai journey... One of the photos shows a trophy along side a Calliandra specimen which I bravely entered into a competition which luckily unbelievably won a Bronze award under the Novice category...
Nice work. Powderpuffs, I think that's the name, are so ethereal when photoed properly. I love yours. A very good start. Thumbs up.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the site! I'm a newbie as well and probably been on the site for half a year or so and I feel I'm light years ahead of where I'd be if I never joined this community. I've learned so much here! Like you I don't have much more to rely on other then the internet, YouTube, books, and my hands. This place has been a HUGE help in my Journey. More so then any other Avenue of learning. Books second. Other than here I think books are superior to the internet in bonsai. I'm reading a super awesome book called the principles of bonsai design by David De root. I highly recommend it! Funny someone on here told me about it. It's definitely the best one I've read so far. I do really like Adam Lavignes blog,
"ask Adam why". I think he does a really good job of breaking things down for new people like us to understand and he explains why he does what he does and why he believes one method over another . I find myself wanting to use his techniques and principles as much as I can when possible. Well I hope this site is as good to you as it is to me good luck with your Bonsai Journey. Oh and nice start!
David is very knowledgeable and articulate. He's a great guy as well. He was the curator of Weyerhaeuser's Pacific Rim collection. He knows his stuff. William Valavanis's book, Classical Bonsai Art, is well worth the investment as well.

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score

Thanks for the warm welcome and thank you for sharing "ask Adam " ... I will look it up....

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score
David is very knowledgeable and articulate. He's a great guy as well. He was the curator of Weyerhaeuser's Pacific Rim collection. He knows his stuff. William Valavanis's book, Classical Bonsai Art, is well worth the investment as well.

I will try to look for that book... Thanks a lot for sharing...

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Erika; Very commendable efforts and especially that most of plants are(still Alive)and especially flowering. Much could be gained from subscribing to Mirai Live if financially possible. Also great archived info there. One suggestion is to let first plant grow bigger to outgrow big lump in lower trunk. Love your flowers;).

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score
Erika; Very commendable efforts and especially that most of plants are(still Alive)and especially flowering. Much could be gained from subscribing to Mirai Live if financially possible. Also great archived info there. One suggestion is to let first plant grow bigger to outgrow big lump in lower trunk. Love your flowers;).

Thank you... One of my problem is the lack of space so I tend to plant them directly into small pots instead of growing pots... I will heed to your advice and try to find a way to accommodate bigger pots

humboldtmadness

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice looking little trees you have there. Keep it up, you have a nice collection started. I can relate to the lack of space, just keep it up and somehow you will find the room.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very creative...

I love the last one..the pinch in the pot...
The angle in the roots...
Wonderful!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You seem to have a talent for keeping these trees alive and an eye for design beyond that which we usually see in Newbies. You just need to discover the direction you want to go and decide what you consider good design.

ERIKA

Yamadori
Reaction score
You seem to have a talent for keeping these trees alive and an eye for design beyond that which we usually see in Newbies. You just need to discover the direction you want to go and decide what you consider good design.

Thank you very much... Your comment is very encouraging :):)

Top Bottom