Newbie needs advice on Juniper Soil

Paradox,

The problem with grit (gravel) is that it's sharp. Which means it packs. Rounded particles don't

Consider this: have you ever walked on a walkway or path that is a couple inches thick pea gravel? Notice how the gravel moved under your feet?

Compare that to a gravel path made of sharp gravel. Paving gravel. Much firmer. It packs.

Pumice and lava are rounded. Granite grit is sharp.

I used to use gravel grit. I don't anymore because I want only rounded particles in my mix.

FWIW angular grains with low sphericity have higher porosity, rounded spherical grains lower.

Very nice description of the factors affecting porosity in this lecture.
http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/75629/Courses/PGE 361/PGE_361_Lect_Dr.Osama.pdf

Scott

I have a juniper that has lost its vigor. I think its the soil so I need to report the tree. I was just wondering what soil combinations people use out there. I live in Northern California zone 9 where it gets very hot in the summer.

Here Junipers like and grow best in full sun and never dried out. That being said I find a rich well draining Soil mixed with a fair amount of course sand and a handful of perlite is easiest. Sounds like a general Nursery mix and it is :eek: By easiest most of the season requires a single ample watering per day. When we have our hot blast for around two weeks I need to water twice - everything in modern substrate and full sun requires far more water. Fact is it works and there are many as myself that leave new Junipers in the original Nursery mix for a few years... Not modern substrate BUT it works great. If you do not like the way it looks you can always put a top coat of crushed lava or what ever to "dress it up".

This is probably going to start a bunch of controversial conversation but I am positive I am not alone one this one :p

Grimmy

Isn't lava pretty sharp? I thought sharp was good being that it tends to make roots split into smaller roots when they run into the sharp edges.

tends to make roots split into smaller roots when they run into the sharp edg

Myth.

Also.

Proper lava is tumbled round.

Sharp lava comes from a big bag from the depot crushed by a dude with a real sore elbow, usually cussing about "never again".

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom