New to bonsai! Want a willow!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
hey everyone,
I Want to get back into bonsai! And I say back in because I had about 5 trees that I had purchased "done" about ten years ago but I was 13 yrs old and let them die. I went to a horticultural show and was really intrigued by the "cool mini trees". I have recently gotten back into the hobby and am really serious about sticking with it this time around. I have purchased a few junipers from a nursery and played with them a bit (I'm pretty sure I pushed one a little too far because it is browning a little. I have a huge weeping willow in my backyard and have heard they are easy to root from clippings. How are they to bonsai? I've always wanted one. I hear it is a lot of pruning and trimming but that's what draws me to them so much. I want a fast growing tree so that I can constantly be busy tending to it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also any bigginer tips would help greatly (trees for beginners?) I know a willow isn't one of them but I am really set on the idea.
Thanks!
Looking forward to being a part of this site and learning as much as I can!

Zac,

Welcome to crazy!

I Had a willow once. I cut back the roots and they all died but it made new ones. Looked nasty so I threw it out, in search of a.......

I would find a well developed "tree" in a branch somewhere and layer it.

Its said that big branches will root from cuttings too, by why risk it? Airlayer!

Mad water!
I kept mine on a tray of wet sphagnum, it worked well.

Sorce

I agree that willows look cool. They are difficult to train as bonsai (unless large bonsai) because of the long leaves and the weeping branch structure. It is a case (similar to some oaks and maples) where it is difficult to create a convincing bonsai due to the constraints of the parent material.

You might want to consider what kind of material could you use that is "bonsai friendly" that would recreate the look and feel of a weeping willow without being a weeping willow :)

Evergreen Gardenworks sells dwarf weeping willows if that's what you're after. I actually got one in the mail from them yesterday. The leaves are tiny for willows. Maybe 1/2-3/4" long. Definitely bonsai sized. They won't grow as fast as a normal sized willow but could look great in a few years.

When I lived in Colorado, there were willows that grew along the banks of the river in my back yard. They were only about 6 feet tall and leaves were about 1/4" wide and about 1 1/2" long. Looking back I wish I would have been into bonsai then.

Thanks for all the advice and the welcome! I havnt paid much attention to what kind of willow it is because the tree is still bare and I'm not sure how to tell without looking at the leaves. I figure I'll just clip it now and start the rooting process and find out eventually. I'm also going to check that evergreen garden works and see what they have. I'm looking forward to sharing my progress and seeking advice along the way. Thanks again!

I have a Chinese willow (Salix matsudana) in my yard and 2 branches of weeping willow growing roots in the ground. i think willows are pretty cool but some positive and negative about them.

The positive is that, whatever the species is, they will grow roots like crazy. You just have to properly cut the branches you are interested in and put the extremities you want to roots in a bucket of water, in a couple of weeks you might have roots (and willow water, i.e. when the water they are in will turn kinda viscous, this is a good rooting product you could use it to water your plants). However you will have to pick a rather young branch to get it roots. An old branch with already mature bark won't root. In fact the younger the branch is the easier the roots will come. To root the bark has to be yellowish/greenish. So you'll have to find the balance between a young enough bark and an already reasonable diameter for the branch (no point trying to start a pre-bonsai with a millimeter size branch if you ask me).
If your willow has leaves remove them, anyway they'll die during the rooting process and the branches will grow new one once the roots will start to develop.
once you will have roots you could replant the branch in a pot of the ground directly.

Some negative: the branches will certainly die at the extremities opposite to the roots. So cut at least a couple of inches more than the size you want in order to be able to get rid of this part that will turn brown/black.
As said above went you will try to prune the roots there is a good chance they'll die (at least a part of them): for willows it's always easier to grow new roots than to try to fix some cut/damaged ones.

However as I said I love willows that I find them pretty funny with their post-Wodstock hippie look and anyway the good point is that's free to try! :)

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch Alain! This is all very good to know! And yes it is free! That's exactly why I believe it's worth a shot! As far as cutting the branch properly, do you recommend using a saw or some sort of large clippers? Sorry if that's a silly question.

When I lived in Colorado, there were willows that grew along the banks of the river in my back yard. They were only about 6 feet tall and leaves were about 1/4" wide and about 1 1/2" long. Looking back I wish I would have been into bonsai then.

Rob made a good point and had a good "find". We have the same type of Willow here that grows along creek sides and ponds. The locals call it corkscrew as it is quite contorted along with small and thin foliage. I am pretty certain corkscrew grows a lot taller but I am digging one or two this year as they are a good specimen if you can meet their water requirements.

Grimmy

Evergreen Gardenworks sells dwarf weeping willows if that's what you're after. I actually got one in the mail from them yesterday. The leaves are tiny for willows. Maybe 1/2-3/4" long. Definitely bonsai sized. They won't grow as fast as a normal sized willow but could look great in a few years.
Just checked that site out! Seems like they have a lot of great stuff. I just there were pictures so I could see what I'm getting before I order.

Just checked that site out! Seems like they have a lot of great stuff. I just there were pictures so I could see what I'm getting before I order.

Shoot them an email and let them know what you are looking for, your price range is and ask them to send you some pictures of some to choose from. Most places worth their salt are willing to accommodate a request like this.

Here's the one I got. You can see the leaves are pretty small. The branches seem like they'll weep once they grow longer.

I've found most of the trees I get from Brent are thicker than I expected for the pot size so that's been a bonus. He does a good job of pruning them back to get thicker trunks and branches to choose movement from.
image.jpg image.jpg

Well, the branches I have came from a huge branch that was torn during the last Summer storm. I picked it up it during my wife and I evening walk in our neighborhood (no need to say I looked a little - a lot - crazy walking around with a 10 feet willow branch on my shoulder) and once at home I trim it using my regular gardening pruning shear in order to get a couple of pieces with nice clean cuts.:)

Not to be a downer but I would completely avoid a standard weeping willow for bonsai as there are too many good species to choose from and I don't have infinite space or time. I've tried a weeping willow. It wasn't very fun for a few yrs and now it's gone. There are good reasons why it's one of the species most avoid.
Ian

Check out rockm's quote on this thread (http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/weeping-willow.4501/)

"They are not finicky. They grow like weeds. They are prolific growers. That's hardly the problem.

The problem is they are extremely unstable as bonsai. Willow grows like many "pioneer species", like , black cherry, birch and a few other. These species s are adapted to taking over, or pioneering, marginal lands that other species can't readily colonize. They all grow very aggressively. They all produce profuse new growth, often through root suckering, quickly in order to overwhelm competitors on marginal land. They are also adapted to react quickly to the changing conditions in those lands. They can shut off growth at the drop of a hat if they find conditions getting dicey (drought, shade, animals, etc)

All that translates into disappointing instability as bonsai. You prune too hard or stress the plant a bit and it decides it's not worth continuing growth on that particular branch (or complete side of the tree, or root) and simply stops supplying it with nutrients in favor of new growth from the root crown or lower trunk. The branch dies. The plant finds it easier to start over again in a new spot on the trunk than fight whatever is preventing growth on the established branch.

If you want to do willow bonsai, do it with the thought that you will be forever fighting an uphill battle and dealing with disappointment (or to be more politically correct) 'facing new challenges." Branching that you may have spent five or ten years developing may one day all be dead and replaced with new shoots all springing up from the trunk base. Five years is not really all that long. Get ten years into it and see if your design doesn't change --drastically."

Here's the one I got. You can see the leaves are pretty small. The branches seem like they'll weep once they grow longer.

I've found most of the trees I get from Brent are thicker than I expected for the pot size so that's been a bonus. He does a good job of pruning them back to get thicker trunks and branches to choose movement from.
View attachment 69263 View attachment 69264
This looks like a pretty nice start. I'm going to see if I can get a head start from a cutting. Thanks for the picture and the tip! I'll definitly keep them in mind for future projects.

Not to be a downer but I would completely avoid a standard weepingwillowlong. Get ten years into it and see if your design doesn't change --drastically."
You make very good points. And I appreciate hearing both sides of the spectrum, but keeping that in mind I'm going take the chance. After all, it won't cost me anything to try. I will do my best with it see what happens. If it doesn't work out, well I tried lol. I'll just go plant it in the swamp behind my house.
Thanks again!

There are other species you can grow as a weeping bonsai like weeping honeysuckle.
Look into some other species that may fit the bill.
Indoor bonsai- willow leaf ficus.
Good luck

I have a golden willow that has been doing fine as a bonsai, no issue thus far. There very pretty as new growth is super bright yellow and I collected mine by simply cutting around the tree with a saw and pulling it out of the mud. There pretty hard to kill. As long as you play to the way they grow, they can make a very interesting bonsai subject.

I believe I have identified mine as a black willow. It fits the description that I've read about online and I found out that it's the only species of willow that grows naturally and in VA. After speaking with my landlord, he told me he didn't plant it so I'm assuming it's a pretty good chance that's what I have. I have the cuttings in water. Is that the right thing to do or should I plant them? They have been on the water for 10 days and there are no signs of rooting yet. I know it's early but I'm wondering if that method is a waist of time or not. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom