New to bonsai (for the 2nd time!)

kbonsai8

Seed
Reaction score
How’s it going everyone? I started to get into bonsai about 3 years ago. Being a Chicagoan, we have some rough winters. I actually lost all my trees when I first began this hobby during the winter a few years ago. This year I am trying a new approach. About half of my trees are tropicals; ficus’s plus a jade and a wrightia religiosa/water jasmine. My junipers were all planted in my back yard (two weeks ago). They appear to be very happy there. The large one in the first picture is Wild collected/yamadori eastern red cedar. And the 4 it is near are 1 more ERC and 3 Menards junipers I bought to practice on this year during their 50% off tree and shrub sale. I had a cheap greenhouse I used a few years ago during the winter. At some point I may consider rebuilding a green house to house the conifers but I read in one of my bonsai books about this method which I am a little scared but excited to try out!! Any input or tips are much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4284.jpeg
    IMG_4284.jpeg
    701.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4269.jpeg
    IMG_4269.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4134.jpeg
    IMG_4134.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4137.jpeg
    IMG_4137.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 32
Welcome back to the hobby! The tropicals that you chose are pretty carefree and should do well for you indoors for the winter with a little help from a grow light.

Welcome back to the hobby! The tropicals that you chose are pretty carefree and should do well for you indoors for the winter with a little help from a grow light.
I just bought two indoor lights to supplement with during the wintertime. Thank you, very glad to be back working on these little trees 🌳!

Back
Top Bottom