New Shishigashira project

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If the Tree were mine I would air layer the base and create nebari below the flare for the main portion. I would not keep the existing nabari. The other suggestions would create another nice starter project on the left portion. I would then work on branch structure. They thread graft easily and creating nice compact trees with small foliage is easy. Amazing fall colours. Two pictures attached. One with a small addition for extra air layer. One showing fall color and thread grafting on two shishigara I developed quite a few years ago.Screenshot_20231026_182530_Chrome.jpgIMG_1198.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If the Tree were mine I would air layer the base and create nebari below the flare for the main portion. I would not keep the existing nabari. The other suggestions would create another nice starter project on the left portion. I would then work on branch structure. They thread graft easily and creating nice compact trees with small foliage is easy. Amazing fall colours. Two pictures attached. One with a small addition for extra air layer. One showing fall color and thread grafting on two shishigara I developed quite a few years ago.View attachment 514828View attachment 514829
Those are beautiful! Yeah I love the foliage on these guys. I'm starting to get some reds and yellows in the more shaded areas. First big step will definitely be to set some of the higher airlayers in spring and maybe do an up pot. This one is pretty full up.

Top Bottom