New Field Maple with girthhhh

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Went to buy wire, got pulled in by this chunky trunk.

A few cut marks on one side (this will most likely be the back!)

It's my first maple, been wanting to try one, thought this would be a good start! Looks healthy and yeah, I'm a fan of the trunk. It's not perfect, but I think it's workable!

Edit - Apart from removing moss from the trunk, I think I will just let it be for now!

Attachments

• 20200702_150150.jpg
    20200702_150150.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 20200702_145620.jpg
    20200702_145620.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200702_145613.jpg
    20200702_145613.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 20200702_145602.jpg
    20200702_145602.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20200702_145558.jpg
    20200702_145558.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 20200702_105249.jpg
    20200702_105249.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 119
@Clorgan ,

Please shoot image dead on and with a plain backgound.
Maybe a cardboad or sheet etc.
Good Day
Anthony

Trident maple - bought from Trenears as a pencil thick whip in 93
- No longer Alive -
Fridge simulated winter.
Note background and front on shot

trident.jpg

@Clorgan ,

Good Day
Anthony

- No longer Alive -
Fridge simulated winter.

View attachment 313097

Glad you mentioned this actually - probably should be taking more care with the photos! Wasn't sure that it'd matter hugely, being that they're just starting photos. You're right though, fence is a busy background - will do this from now on! Will have a go shortly and add the result haha. I do actually like photography and used to dabble in it, I think I just get too excited 😂

That's a nice trident!

@Clorgan ,

Good Day
Anthony

- No longer Alive -
Fridge simulated winter.

View attachment 313097

Here we go, a bit better!

Attachments

• Field Maple.jpg
    Field Maple.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 93
Nice. Looks like a good find. You take a trip to a bonsai nursery? I still haven’t been to a dedicated place myself yet.

Nice. Looks like a good find. You take a trip to a bonsai nursery? I still haven’t been to a dedicated place myself yet.

Yeah there's one on my way to work, attached to a large garden centre. It's great, but very dangerous 😂 they've got some great material, a lot of it doesn't seem too pricey either

Definitely recommend a visit to a bonsai nursery, even if only to browse (which is near impossible!)

So I know the options are to either...

1. Let it grow wild for a year - see what branches it throws out

2. Start doing some light training
- cut branches coming from the same area down to one, and those likely not in the final design (e.g. bottom left branch) to save the tree's energy for more useful branches
-loosely wire potential main branches while they are young to guide their growth - avoids wire marks I might get if left till they're harder
-wire new leader (although the obvious leader is already quite stiff, not sure I'd be able to wire it to the trunk as it's not quite at the top (hope this makes sense)

I've done quite a bit of research into this - both seem to have pros and cons. I'm not particularly fussed about thickening the trunk more. I think the current front will need to be the permanent front due to the scars on the back, I know these will heal partially over time, but I'm guessing they'll still be clear (and probably unsightly for a front). I'd also like to keep it a similar size to what it is now.

Not sure which is the better option...or something in between the two? After this initial advice on which approach, I think I'd like to work this tree with as little spoon feeding from you lovely people as possible...I mean that in a positive way! You guys are great, but I think I need to put on my big girl pants and just go for it, challenge myself and all that :)

So I guess my question is, do I start being a big girl now or next year?

Oh and please correct me if I've misunderstood anything I've read!

Yeah there's one on my way to work, attached to a large garden centre. It's great, but very dangerous 😂 they've got some great material, a lot of it doesn't seem too pricey either

Definitely recommend a visit to a bonsai nursery, even if only to browse (which is near impossible!)
Nice. I haven't really got any close to me thankfully, so I can avoid the temptation!

Anyone? A 'DO IT NOW' or a 'DON'T DO IT YET YOU IMPATIENT FOOL' would suffice 😂
Seeing as you're new to bonsai, you should probably wait and just observe the tree, learn and try to get a feel for it.

BUT... If you like the height and the thickness of the trunk, I don't see why you can't start wiring branches and pruning now. Just enough to set the angles from where they exit the trunk and maybe a little movement. Keep in mind most of what you see now will be cut off, you're just trying to get the first inch or two of branches setup right.

Seeing as you're new to bonsai, you should probably wait and just observe the tree, learn and try to get a feel for it.

BUT... If you like the height and the thickness of the trunk, I don't see why you can't start wiring branches and pruning now. Just enough to set the angles from where they exit the trunk and maybe a little movement. Keep in mind most of what you see now will be cut off, you're just trying to get the first inch or two of branches setup right.

Thanks for this - really helpful 😁

The sensible side of me says wait. But really I bought this material in the hope that it would be my first go at actually creating a tree myself without too much spoon feeding. I have my juniper, which I'm really enjoying, but I pretty much got advice on every aspect of it. Which is absolutely what I needed and that advice helped me start making a tree that could be pretty cool. But for this one, I kind of want it to be mine - to challenge myself, make myself learn and do my own research, and produce something I can say is MY work! Although I'm sure they'll be times when I may need to ask for help with bits (as you say I'm still so new to this).

None of my thoughts for this tree in the short term should have the potential to cause major harm (I don't think), and I purposely picked a field maple as they're native so should be pretty tough! It shouldn't need a repot any time soon so that's a big plus. I've got lots of other material (varying from sticks to not awful) which I intend to do minimal work to, observe and use to learn basics.

Hope these ramblings make sense 😂

Back
Top Bottom