New Brussel's Sharp's Pygmy where to prune?

robrizok

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I recently purchased a Sharp's Pygmy from Brussel's. Looking thru forum posts of theses great maples, I can see that mine needs some some help/advice on where to prune/shape.
So, I would like some inputs. Here are pics of each side. Also your opinion on which side should be front? Thanks in advance. - Bob20240630_070315.jpg20240630_070351.jpg20240630_070424.jpg20240630_070448.jpg

Nice tree! Honestly, this would be a better question to ask once the foliage has dropped.

Yet can tell you a few things for sure

First the branches will need at least some reduction, or possibly total removal and regrowth due to the nature of Sharp’s growth pattern, often tossing out a multiplicity of branches clustered together, some (or more) of which are out of scale….

Second you’ll need to get under the hood next spring and get to work setting up and working the nebari to get it into good shape. So study how to work on a nebari. Start by searching this site for threads on Ebihara, or Ebihara method.

Finally double check there is no apparent great on this tree.

Here’s one to get you started

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers
DSD sends

I recently purchased a Sharp's Pygmy from Brussel's. Looking thru forum posts of theses great maples, I can see that mine needs some some help/advice on where to prune/shape.
So, I would like some inputs. Here are pics of each side. Also your opinion on which side should be front? Thanks in advance. - BobView attachment 555001View attachment 555002View attachment 555003View attachment 555004
Great starter material!

The lowest branches need to be thickest.

The only thing that doesn't happen naturally is taper.

Make it happen. Both.

Sorce

Nice tree! Honestly, this would be a better question to ask once the foliage has dropped.

Yet can tell you a few things for sure

First the branches will need at least some reduction, or possibly total removal and regrowth due to the nature of Sharp’s growth pattern, often tossing out a multiplicity of branches clustered together, some (or more) of which are out of scale….

Second you’ll need to get under the hood next spring and get to work setting up and working the nebari to get it into good shape. So study how to work on a nebari. Start by searching this site for threads on Ebihara, or Ebihara method.

Finally double check there is no apparent great on this tree.

Here’s one to get you started

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers
DSD sends
Thanks for the reply and advice for this newbie. what do you mean by"...double check there is no apparent great on this tree"?

Thanks for the reply and advice for this newbie. what do you mean by"...double check there is no apparent great on this tree"?
Honestly... even Bill Valavanis owns trees with sound grafts. As do I...and Bill loves my Ryusen... 🙄... it looks to maybe have a nice sound one, I can't be certain...It isn't bad from what I can see if that's what I'm seeing. Don't sweat it. Don't let it ruin the love you have for this tree.

You own this tree already. Enjoy it.

Honestly... even Bill Valavanis owns trees with sound grafts. As do I...and Bill loves my Ryusen... 🙄... it looks to maybe have a nice sound one, I can't be certain...It isn't bad from what I can see if that's what I'm seeing. Don't sweat it. Don't let it ruin the love you have for this tree.

You own this tree already. Enjoy it.
Thanks for the kind words. By the way, I love my AST-V....

Thanks for the kind words. By the way, I love my AST-V....
🫣... won't lie. I had to do a quick Google search. I was clueless to what you loved. 🙃🤣

This is my ride. 😉 my name comes from liking the most expensive item when looking to buy things. A sales clerk called me it years back. It kind of stuck as I wasn't alone while shopping.

That said...I hate to shop. But when I do... I want what I like. 🙃
1000033229.jpg

🫣... won't lie. I had to do a quick Google search. I was clueless to what you loved. 🙃🤣

This is my ride. 😉 my name comes from liking the most expensive item when looking to buy things. A sales clerk called me it years back. It kind of stuck as I wasn't alone while shopping.

That said...I hate to shop. But when I do... I want what I like. 🙃
View attachment 555372
Very nice!!

Back
Top Bottom