New black pine questions...

Kcole1

Seed
Reaction score
I just bought this black pine and it looks to be very healthy and strong. I have read about black pines for hours and hours, watched videos and learned about decandling, needle pulling, etc... my question is, looking at this pine in its current state, do I need to do anything to it at this time or let is be and wait till fall... and if O wait till fall, what should I do at that point? Just pull all the old needles and leave 5-8 pair per shoot? Or do that now? I am kinda lost coming in on this tree half way through summer.

I live in North Carolina and it is usually around 85-95 a day here and humid in the summer. Tree appears to be between 8-10 years old. I litealrally just recieved it yesterday , so no watering or fertalizer regimine established yet on this guy. Thank you for any help you have to offer.

Attachments

• 20180725_183523.jpg
    20180725_183523.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 56

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not much to do with it now but learn how to water correctly, feed, and apply preventative fungicides. You may consider adding some soil to cover the roots, which shouldn’t be quite so exposed.

Watch the wire and remove it when it starts to cut in 50% or so.

It looks like the upper part of the trunk was twisted and that looks goofy transitioning from the relatively soft curve of the lower trunk. At some point, you will need to decide if you want to replace that twist with a side branch that looks a little better. Study the tree and decide which branches are the final branches for the tree, and which you can use to thicken the trunk. With pines you can do both at the same time, if you know how. Search for sacrifice and final branches here.

Kcole1

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you for your input and help. I will add some more soil to cover the roots better and make some decisions on branches as the summer moves on and I see what the tree does.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes for sure add more soil to cover those exposed roots and since these guys need full sun you might want to cover your pot with a towel or something so the unexposed roots along the side of the pot don't cook in there especially if the pot is a clay pot. Here in Dallas my full sun trees are covered with towels from the end of May until mid October when the temps finally start to go back down. They look awful like that but the health of the tree is my priority. :)

Kcole1

Seed
Reaction score
Yes for sure add more soil to cover those exposed roots and since these guys need full sun you might want to cover your pot with a towel or something so the unexposed roots along the side of the pot don't cook in there especially if the pot is a clay pot. Here in Dallas my full sun trees are covered with towels from the end of May until mid October when the temps finally start to go back down. They look awful like that but the health of the tree is my priority. :)

Very good point on shading the roots with a cloth or something. It gets hot here. It is very humid though, so I guess that is a help. Thanks for the advice ?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
[QUOTE="Brian Van Fleet, post: 581527, member: 1681]here.[/QUOTE]

If there was ever a "Silver Plater" draped in more meaty goodness, you won't find it here....nooooo…..

Put where your at in your profile.....not everyone knows Cackalaki is where your at if they catch this mid-thread.:p;):D:D:D:D:D:D

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a great tree to learn JBP. Congrats and keep us posted on it's progress.

Top Bottom