Need large pot

Um, what in the hell are you putting in a pot that large? 😁 That's about 500 lbs of soil, probably more. You sure what you're potting requires such a large container?

FWIW, The pot under the huge Chinese elm below is about those same dimensions, possibly a bit larger. The tree is a century-old with a massive 20" or so trunk diameter. It requires a forklift and a crew to move it and to repot. It can't be moved for overwintering so a shelter is built around it.

The pot it is in now is a newish Chinese import. The pot was located through some direct importers a while ago. It took some looking around to find. I doubt very much a hobby, or even a professional, bonsai potter has a kiln large enough for such a container.

The only bonsai potter that comes to mind that has this kind of thing under their belt is Jim Barrett. He built the final pot for Dan Robinson's massive collected Ponderosa pine at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum...Barrett made the ceramic pot for it, but if I remember correctly, he had it fired in an industrial kiln...but that was years ago.

Attachments

• emperorelm.jpg
    emperorelm.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I am looking for someone who has a kiln large enough to make a 32x22x7(ish) pot.

Also would be interested in purchasing one if you know anywhere that sells!

Thanks!
I see your in Ga. I think I have seen a couple pots around that size at plant city bonsai in North Georgia. I know they have a Redwood in a container around that size. Maybe try calling them. Or the ATL bonsai society may have some connections. For more local stuff. I hope to be able to make pots that large in the future. Right now only much smaller ones.

You must have some large material!

FWIW, you might ask these folks

They have a 39" pot for $800--

Um, what in the hell are you putting in a pot that large? 😁 That's about 500 lbs of soil, probably more. You sure what you're potting requires such a large container?

FWIW, The pot under the huge Chinese elm below is about those same dimensions, possibly a bit larger. The tree is a century-old with a massive 20" or so trunk diameter. It requires a forklift and a crew to move it and to repot. It can't be moved for overwintering so a shelter is built around it.

The pot it is in now is a newish Chinese import. The pot was located through some direct importers a while ago. It took some looking around to find. I doubt very much a hobby, or even a professional, bonsai potter has a kiln large enough for such a container.

The only bonsai potter that comes to mind that has this kind of thing under their belt is Jim Barrett. He built the final pot for Dan Robinson's massive collected Ponderosa pine at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum...Barrett made the ceramic pot for it, but if I remember correctly, he had it fired in an industrial kiln...but that was years ago.
Ummm..... that is about the size of pot I need for Batman. I am planning to buy the big OVA30- 33 x 23 x 8″ Depth mica pot from Wigert for the repot next year.

Ummm..... that is about the size of pot I need for Batman. I am planning to buy the big mica pot from Wigert for the repot next year.
Hope you have good health insurance and aren't allergic to Titanium. You'll need both for the lower back reconstruction... 😁

Hope you have good health insurance and aren't allergic to Titanium. You'll need both for the lower back reconstruction... 😁
I am planning to use a Harbor Freight engine hoist for the repot. If necessary I will build a temporary A frame for the lift. I won't fight Batman without weapons in my arsenal.
In case you wonder, at work I have planned the lifts of huge equipment weighing many thousands of pounds so when the time comes Batman will be lifted, whether he likes it or not.

Saw her at MABS in April. She makes some nice pots.
I bought a couple of smaller ones from her.

FWIW, you might ask these folks

They have a 39" pot for $800--
I definitely will keep them in mind when the time comes.

I'd actually go with a bit smaller pot, not larger.
My thought too when I compare it with Walter Pall's big trees. Walter's pots are typically more shallow as well. But then I don't know the health of the tree, nor do I know about the environment where the tree is kept. Perhaps it needs more soil to be healthy.

That tree is roughly the size of my live oak. I've got it in a (approximately) 25" by 20" by 7" Yixing oval. It could stand a pot that's about 30" across though. The current pot "works" pretty well. It's what I could get and the tree has been happy in it, but probably most importantly, I can lift it by myself.

Attachments

• live oak.jpg
    live oak.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 116
Contact Rob Wallace here near Asheville. He may be able to do it. I just bought a big one from him and he will do special commissions. Contact him via his website https://www.wallacewoodspottery.com. Also have you tried Waldo Street Pottery in Atlanta. Eli makes large ones.
Think twice before having one shipped to you. I ordered a big one from House of Bonsai and UPS delivered it in 3 pieces.

I am in the pic for size reference! She’s a monster!View attachment 494054
That's a big ole' boy.

I'll show you my rough estimation of what's going on beneath the leaves and you can disregard if I'm off. Which is more than likely.

1686858945415.png

Orange is what I'm assuming you could do pretty quickly to make the proportions reasonable to make it showable.

Red is what I would say the proportions, as is, would make it closer to the japanese standard (since this is a split trunk). I'm not a master by any stretch but that would seem the way the tree leans.

Blue is where I'm pretty certain major branches are, with purple being the ones that are minor and/or I'm not confident of they're placement.

Given that, I would say you probably don't need a giant pot. It looks like that last 3-4 inches would be better used as highly ramified foliage rather than cranking the tree up to 11 and breaking off the knob. Its obviously healthy and doesn't need a kick in the pants. I don't see a yellow/brown spot or patch on the whole thing.

Let me just say, if I had the cash pot to buy this glorious dude, I would be focused on ramification, not driving growth. As long as that container isn't deteriorating health, I would keep it in there for at least a few years. I've had a big ole' boy trident for about three years now and he's not changed pots yet. I've been reworking branch placement and ramification, but the repot I did last year because I was afraid of it being too root constricted probably set me back another two or three years. And that's without increasing pot size.

On a completely separate note; if you think this thing needs a bigger pot, either now or in the future, and you have the funds to buy a a tree of this caliber, I would suggest a commission. I have not commissioned a piece yet, but from everyone in my club that has, its a good experience for those ceramicists that make bonsai pots.

Back
Top Bottom