Need a virt/branch selection

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I collected this american beech going on 3 years ago, she's had a fresh repot and now I need some advice on styling.

20170326_115800.jpg

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is source. Now the question is, when to cut??

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Has decent roots, but it was just repotted. Didn't know if that would be to many insults at once?

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always do cutback before repotting, might be best at this point to leave it be and let it grow the rest of the year. You don't want it jiggling around after repotting. All the while planning for next year. I asked about the rootage because the front and shape is usually determined by the rootage and lower trunk. I see a nice curve down low but would like to see how the rootage comes off of that . That's usually where I start the shaping process.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It actually has pretty decent nebari with the front show. That's why I think k that should be the front, plus it accentuates the curve.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shorten all the branches. Cut back to a bud pointing in the direction you want thebranch to go.

Remove branches that are larger near the top than the branches near the bottom.

Remove bar (opposite) branches by removing one or the other.

Otherwise, let it be.

I wouldn't do a trunk chop. They don't like it. Maybe a light trim to shorten it a little.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shorten all the branches. Cut back to a bud pointing in the direction you want thebranch to go.

Remove branches that are larger near the top than the branches near the bottom.

Remove bar (opposite) branches by removing one or the other.

Otherwise, let it be.

I wouldn't do a trunk chop. They don't like it. Maybe a light trim to shorten it a little.

If he's gonna be left with a stick in a pot...

Might as well cross fingers and sharpen saw blades!

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beech easy to grow many new roots by ground layer. Can pick any front desired. IF wishing bigger trunk should let grow freely with minor pruning/wiring only for keeper branches;).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Sorce
No, leave lots of branches. Just remove excess and poorly placed ones.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Sorce
Yes. There are no usable branches here. I would go further. come on now people! Lets go for good stuff. Life's too short.
Unless you are in your early twenties, this material should be rejected. Trust me!!!

bee.JPG

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks all for your advice and criticism. But is it really wise to cut it back that hard? From what I've seen they don't react well to such drastic chops.

MichaelS, I know this will never make it into an exhibition, but I like it, and to me that's all that matters.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
if healthy, instead of trying to defoliate to improve ramification, you can de-bud american beech instead, remove the buds.

Top Bottom