Neagari bougainvillea

Root exposure (slowly) in progress.

Progression posts are scattered over here (but I'll try to summarize in this thread):

Current (@sorce pot):

View attachment 516604
Very well done. I want to try this now. Love the Neagari look.

This was my first attempt, but it's progressing pretty well for 2.5 years. Definitely want to do some other species.
I've seen a few different methods for creating Neagari & the method of using the pond basket looks simple and effective. Now I'm wondering what trees/plants work the best. I have a Premna & a Vietnamese blue bell neagari that I purchased but I'd like to try this with some bougie cuttings and possibly a TBF. I suppose it can be done with most any trees but I'm not sure.

Nice. Thanks for the @.

Sorce

Root exposure (slowly) in progress.

Progression posts are scattered over here (but I'll try to summarize in this thread):

Current (@sorce pot):

View attachment 516604
Wow this is cool 😮. I never thought to do it with Bougainvillea but now I must try. Excellent progression pictures. I’ve seen Azalea like this and others. I’ll be interested to see how this keeps developing . Keep it up 👍

Wow this is cool 😮. I never thought to do it with Bougainvillea but now I must try. Excellent progression pictures. I’ve seen Azalea like this and others. I’ll be interested to see how this keeps developing . Keep it up 👍
Thanks. My tropicals never do great over winter despite great lights, so this one (and all the others) are just starting to look nice again thanks to summer outside.

I suspect it's the forced hot air heating - I need to get some humidity in there. Could also be 6 months of tap water. Maybe I'll start filling buckets of snow to do my watering in winter!

Thanks. My tropicals never do great over winter despite great lights, so this one (and all the others) are just starting to look nice again thanks to summer outside.

I suspect it's the forced hot air heating - I need to get some humidity in there. Could also be 6 months of tap water. Maybe I'll start filling buckets of snow to do my watering in winter!
Not bad idea. I’m moving this month to a house and I really want to set up a rain collection system with the gutters. Luckily, or unluckily I don’t have to deal with snow down here

How often do you expose more root? Do you lower the substrate amount like an inch every 6 months or something?

Also is it necessary to change from the plastic bottle to mesh around the roots? As opposed to slowly cutting off upper parts of the bottle.

How often do you expose more root? Do you lower the substrate amount like an inch every 6 months or something?
Depends how patient you are really. Roots thicken better covered. I haven't exposed any more since the last picture - but I also have plenty of other things to work on.

Also is it necessary to change from the plastic bottle to mesh around the roots? As opposed to slowly cutting off upper parts of the bottle.
No, not necessary - but that repot gave me a chance to organize/shape the roots a bit better, so it's not just a tangled mess. Mesh was easy to put on, and Bougainvillea don't like being waterlogged.

Hell, the shallow pot was probably a bad idea. Higher water table.

Back
Top Bottom