Natchez- 2 year progression

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool; looking good. I think it would be nice if the whole composition looked a little more like it had one shared canopy - right now it feels to me like two distinct ones running into (or away from) each other.

I also think you could use a good strong/larger branch on the opposite side of the main trunk, not quite as low as the foliage on the small trunk, but close.

I completely agree. the main trunk has some structural integrity, whereas the smaller trunk is a bush on a stick that fights with the entire flow.

I'm hoping that a thorough wiring will meld the two trunks canopies into one.

Thanks for the comment, Colin!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Missed this one until now. I think this is going to be really nice. What's the base look like?

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really cool tree. I love Natchez trunks. The ones I see are always 3 trunks. I should try to grow some from cuttings.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Missed this one until now. I think this is going to be really nice. What's the base look like?

The base has some flare to it, but it leaves a decent bit to be desired. It hasnt been repotted in 2 growing seasons so I hope to actually get it into a pot next spring. I'll post up a pic soon.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking healthy!
I have to ask you about fall time wiring...
Have you done it before?
How does that go for you?

I've done it with most of my other Crape Myrtles, they don't seem to skip a beat. The best advice I can give about wiring them is to do it early when developing a branch/shoot. Thicker branches are prone to snapping, but finer grow lends itself to wiring quite nicely.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The base has some flare to it, but it leaves a decent bit to be desired. It hasnt been repotted in 2 growing seasons so I hope to actually get it into a pot next spring. I'll post up a pic soon.

I would say that box is probably full of roots then. In my experience they grow roots like crazy. Looking forward to seeing this one in a pot.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Starting over....

This winter was a cold, cold bitch..

Attachments

• 3E049E5F-755E-442E-8F0C-E1A6EC510D5C.jpeg
    3E049E5F-755E-442E-8F0C-E1A6EC510D5C.jpeg
    577.3 KB · Views: 29

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My crapes aren't even breaking dormancy here yet in Richmond... Haven't checked for die back yet either...

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My crapes aren't even breaking dormancy here yet in Richmond... Haven't checked for die back yet either...

Sending good vibes your way, my friend.

All but one are still sleeping, but I knew something was up, checked the tertiary branching and they were crispy so I started cutting.

Basically to where you see in the photo, that’s where green appeared..

My wife is a sweetheart, she knew how down I was so she went out and bought me a few of my favorite beers.

Still hurts though... 3 years down the tube

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bummer, I'm guessing with the root base you have you'll be able to build structure much quicker than the first round

Thanks for alerting others to extra protect crepes

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sending good vibes your way too. I think you could rebuild branches pretty quickly too as long as the main trunk is still alive.

Top Bottom