Mystery maple?

j_walker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know what species of maple this is. I found it growing in mulch. Can enyone id it? It's about 3 years old.

Attachments

• 20230612_200125.jpg
    20230612_200125.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230612_200159.jpg
    20230612_200159.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 93
It could be a hybrid maple with the trident traits being more visible.

I'm not super familiar with maples in general, but it looks like you have 2 different styles of leaves on this maple. The leaves higher up will be your identifying leaves.

My silver maple which I am thinking is a hybrid, has two different leaves on it. The first flush is more rounded and hard to identify. The 2nd flush is very clearly a silver maple.

My guess is tatarian maple, Acer tataricum. I see them quite a lot here, the "Hot Wings" variety is pretty popular. Looks like they plant them in Pennsylvania too!leaf-pattern-perfect-maple.png

Very likely could be Acer ginnala too, just saw what @Mikecheck123 posted. Very similar leaves.

My guess is tatarian maple, Acer tataricum. I see them quite a lot here, the "Hot Wings" variety is pretty popular. Looks like they plant them in Pennsylvania too!View attachment 493621

Very likely could be Acer ginnala too, just saw what @Mikecheck123 posted. Very similar leaves.
Definitely possible foe either. The parent tree is a smaller maple. Im thinking it's a hybrid of sorts.

It's definitely an Amur maple. I have a few as bonsai. They are invasive in Pennsylvania and the N.E. U.S. Having one pop up in mulch is a pretty standard way they arrive. They're tough and extremely winter hardy and produce a lot of seeds.

Leaf shape can be variable, but both pics you have provided of leaves fit Amur.

It's definitely an Amur maple. I have a few as bonsai. They are invasive in Pennsylvania and the N.E. U.S. Having one pop up in mulch is a pretty standard way they arrive. They're tough and extremely winter hardy and produce a lot of seeds.

Leaf shape can be variable, but both pics you have provided of leaves fit Amur.
Are you saying my trident is not a trident?

Back
Top Bottom