My Zelkova #5

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpg image.jpg Yup,this is just a little guy.It is almost 2 years old.
Thought I would show my first potting of the season,then thought maybe I will update this tree in the future,so gave it a thread:p
This about the only tree that grew the wacky exposed root.It was turning into a runner so I cut it back as far as I could find a side root.
All the Zelkova are going to continue to stay in the colanders and the soil to develop.It seems to work quite well for these small developing trees.
The pictures above are from last year.

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are the photos from repotting tonight. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
As you can see I had to re-pot so I could tend the runaway roots.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I found a different moss that is all over the back yard.It seems more aerated than the junk I used last year and not so vigorous,so I put some trimmings mixed with orchid moss on the top of the soil to see if it takes as easily as the other kind did.
I buried the surface roots in soil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 64

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Amazing progress in less than two years. Look forward to seeing this tree advance through the years!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like how these are coming along, good work and thanks for the update. 2 thoughts:
1. I'd be interested in seeing the nebari you're developing. The only photo I can see shows you're working it back, but how's it coming?
2. Consider (if you haven't) making a couple of them short enough now that they can finish out under 8" as true shohin.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like how these are coming along, good work and thanks for the update. 2 thoughts:
1. I'd be interested in seeing the nebari you're developing. The only photo I can see shows you're working it back, but how's it coming?
2. Consider (if you haven't) making a couple of them short enough now that they can finish out under 8" as true shohin.
Thanks Brian.
Nebari now is really not much to speak of.Maybe because of that crazy tap root going on taking all the energy from the other roots.I removed it.This tree has two big roots one on each side.I think maybe I will stick some orchid moss next to the trunk on the bare sides under the soil tomorrow.
There could be more going on with rootlet location under the soil,but I did not bare root these or mess with the fine roots next to the trunk at all.
At least I can address the bottom of the root pad every spring.Any advice?

This is the best I can do with photos of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 61

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess a Ring bark air layer is not out of the question and that could help with the height control,What do you think?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess a Ring bark air layer is not out of the question and that could help with the height control,What do you think?

I most definitely would!
It pays!
Love these.

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My only advice would be to spend the same effort on the roots at repotting time as you do on the branches. You only get a chance every year it two, so make the work count. I agree that removing the heavy roots encourages finer roots, and that's what you want. Don't be afraid to be aggressive, and be sure to spread them out radially each time. They're strong growers and will bounce back in no time. I'm still trying to get this one right, and it's been in a bonsai pot over 30 years!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 59

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpg image.jpg Yeah, with Zelkova, you can bare root them every time.

You really ought to try screwing them onto a board.

The colander thing is going to be less effective on your zelkova than it would be for someone growing pines. Reason is you font want yo mess with pine roots as often as you do with zelkova. Zelkova you will repot every year. The roots won't really start to circle, and even if the did, you!d cut them all off anyway.

Impressive zelkova nebari is having good radial roots, as flat as possible.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It would also give you the shorter tree Brian mentioned to attain a real shohin size!

Might be easiest/ safest to ground layer them... All depends on exactly where you want the new roots. Looks like you have a good size to do it with a CD... I think smoke has made some posts about doing multiple trunks with them, but you can certainly do a single trunk a a well.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
;)
View attachment 71542 View attachment 71543 Yeah, with Zelkova, you can bare root them every time.

You really ought to try screwing them onto a board.

The colander thing is going to be less effective on your zelkova than it would be for someone growing pines. Reason is you font want yo mess with pine roots as often as you do with zelkova. Zelkova you will repot every year. The roots won't really start to circle, and even if the did, you!d cut them all off anyway.

Impressive zelkova nebari is having good radial roots, as flat as possible.
Thanks,Adair.Your advice is always appreciated.
My other hobby does occupy my time.
I really like the colanders to improve aeration of potting soil.And very economical.They are probably going to be in these until I decide to put in a nice pot with akadama.
Your tree look fantastic;)

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My only advice would be to spend the same effort on the roots at repotting time as you do on the branches. You only get a chance every year it two, so make the work count. I agree that removing the heavy roots encourages finer roots, and that's what you want. Don't be afraid to be aggressive, and be sure to spread them out radially each time. They're strong growers and will bounce back in no time. I'm still trying to get this one right, and it's been in a bonsai pot over 30 years!
Thanks ,Brian.I really took my time on the tree I did tonight.I posted it on my thread.I will post the rest on there to see what we got.
It is really exciting to be unearthing the Nebari on the trees and really work them.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It would also give you the shorter tree Brian mentioned to attain a real shohin size!

Might be easiest/ safest to ground layer them... All depends on exactly where you want the new roots. Looks like you have a good size to do it with a CD... I think smoke has made some posts about doing multiple trunks with them, but you can certainly do a single trunk a a well.
Yes,Eric.I am going to air layer as last alternative.I have 11 more trees.I will make note of the candidates for this and proceed next spring if that is the course of action.
It is fun working seeing hat the other trees offer in the way of Nebari and try to shape what is there.
A flat mat of air layered roots is tempting too:rolleyes:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes,Eric.I am going to air layer as last alternative.I have 11 more trees.I will make note of the candidates for this and proceed next spring if that is the course of action.
It is fun working seeing hat the other trees offer in the way of Nebari and try to shape what is there.
A flat mat of air layered roots is tempting too:rolleyes:

I just wonder why way till next spring?
If not all of them, I would at least do the worst one this year.

I'm having excellent success with this method.
http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/radialayer™-a-season-saver.17046/

Haste makes great rootage!

Sorce

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
:)
I just wonder why way till next spring?
If not all of them, I would at least do the worst one this year.

I'm having excellent success with this method.
http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/radialayer™-a-season-saver.17046/

Haste makes great rootage!

Sorce
Thanks ,Sorce.I thought it best to wait because these will be freshly potted and pruned to find if they even need layered.I think I would want a pot full of roots when I proceed to layer.
I am a believer in air layers.I have read countless articles in my Bonsai Focus.
Thanks;)

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
guys just a question if I may , you talk about screwing to a board or grow on a cd etc... but these things doesn't have any holes in is it really ok ? won't that affect the free draining of the soil ?

thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Long as they are not concave up.

Sorce

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This was the first tree I ever really had to do root work on.I should of dug in deeper and bare rooted like the rest I did this past week.I guess It can hang on till next season.I need to straighten every last root out and I could of scraped the trunk and put a ball of orchid moss where there was no roots.To aid in root growth in that spot.
Darn,this is one of the best trees too.

Top Bottom