My Tortured Dwarf Alberta Spruce (#1) - Dead or Alive

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The initial photo: (Fall 2023)
IMG_8943.jpeg

After initial pruning: (and gouging away at a massive whorl on the trunk)
IMG_3121.jpeg

After I went mad and trunk chopped at the site of the whorl (it was an adrenaline rush):
IMG_3122.jpeg

Sometime during Winter:
IMG_3112.jpeg

Most recent:
IMG_3116.jpeg
IMG_3117.jpeg

I’m not experienced in identifying and determining viable buds, but I see some on almost all the branches, so I’ll see what happens in the coming weeks:
IMG_3119.jpeg
IMG_3118.jpeg
IMG_3120.jpeg

I threw in a small amount of granular 10-10-10 fertilizer yesterday. I don’t know what to expect but made my peace with the tree over Winter in case it is not recoverable.

Last edited:
it's already dead - the needles last much longer even after the tree has given up the gas. Where did you keep it in winter and did you water it?

it's already dead - the needles last much longer even after the tree has given up the gas. Where did you keep it in winter and did you water it?
Outside and watered yes. Maybe I’ll practice crushing, tearing, stripping off bark and deadwood creation 😇

Hmm.. yeah doesn't look happy at all. Too much too soon. If it has any chance to recover i would remove that wire. From what I understand Spruce requires patience. Also not advisable to fertilize a sick or recovering tree. Get another one and try again but slow it down Amigo. 😉

I have 6 others, this was pushing to the limit to see how far the tree could go. I browsed some old posts from people who pushed theirs even further back in 2014 or around that time and theirs died also. It was experimental (I had 3 others along with this one so I wouldn’t be left without one lol)

Yeah it a game a patience with these guys, took 7 years with mine
- year 1 just repot and remove branches you down need ( if your lucky you can repot and wire all in one go)
- year 2, if it responded strong - wire in Jan/Feb, trim to a bud
- year 3, leave alone/ de-wire any swelling
- year 4, repeat year two steps
- year 5 depends on strength and do what the tree tells you it can handle

for a twin trunk you may want to let one truck grow free as they are both the same size and height - but give it 10 years and it'll be amazing

You could try planting it in pure sphagnum moss this spring. I've saved spruce that way.

yes this one had 4 main branch's coming out of the base of the trunk that seems to have thickened from girdling roots so Im just waiting for start of spring to repot now

I’ve killed Something like 18 Alberta, spruce trees and around six other types of spruces.

I still try….but work way slower.
I would see if you can get your hands on a larch. I’ve had much better luck, as theyTake torture a lot better in my opinion.😊

I’ve killed Something like 18 Alberta, spruce trees and around six other types of spruces.

I still try….but work way slower.
I would see if you can get your hands on a larch. I’ve had much better luck, as theyTake torture a lot better in my opinion.😊
I am interested in larch ever since I watched those popular videos on YouTube (instant bonsai). I have not studied them yet and the idea of plucking and creating small tight bundles/pads is foreign to me. Almost intimidating.

I am interested in larch ever since I watched those popular videos on YouTube (instant bonsai). I have not studied them yet and the idea of plucking and creating small tight bundles/pads is foreign to me. Almost intimidating.
I’ve just found that larch, being a deciduous conifer, react and behave a lot more like deciduous trees.
I found root reduction chopping and pruning to be far more forgiving and straightforward.

Very fun trees.

Back
Top Bottom